Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will perlite and 'potting mix' be enough??

Posted by dancinglemons 7%2B (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 11, 11 at 23:46

Hello all,

I am running out of 'stuff' to make my potting mixture. No more fines for a few weeks but still need to plant a few more tubs. Here is my plan......

I have huge bag of perlite still available and several bags of Organic Tomato/Vegetable Planting Mix. Could not pass up the price on the Tom/Veg mix -- $4 for 1.5cuft bag. The Tom/Veg mix is sphagnum peat moss, composted bark, medium perlite, natural fertilizer, lime for pH balance and organic wetting agent.

I plan to use 18 gallon rope buckets with 1.5 cuft of the Tom/Veg mix and a gallon of Perlite -- all mixed well. I use generic Dolomite and Espoma fertilizers.

Will this work -or- will this be too much perlite? I won't be able to get more pine bark fines for few weeks but need to plant the buckets now.

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks,
DL

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will perlite and 'potting mix' be enough??

It would work depending on how often you water and weather conditions which I think you will be the best judge of that.

For my area, that kind of mix would work wonderful since the weather here can be HOT only a few days and mild the rest with days of rain and then none at all for days.

If my mix was fast draining as I suppose extra perlite will probably encourage, I would keep a close eye on watering as the plants grow and fill the pots or in hot weather.

Depending on how big the pots are, how big the roots are, what the environment and weather bring your way and how often you water will determine if you made a good or poor choice.

Good luck

Mike

o
RE: Will perlite and 'potting mix' be enough??

Thanks Mike! I will keep a very close check on the watering.

DL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here