Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mulch in Wicking System

Posted by untiedknot TX (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 20, 11 at 0:45

Hi, I'm getting into self-watering bucket gardening (This design in particular:: http://www.globalbuckets.org/).

I am trying to come up with a cheap soil mix that will be able to wick water vertically. I have lots of good compost and lots of hardwood mulch and cedar mulch. I haven't heard much about amending soil with mulch and was wondering what others think about doing a blend of compost and mulch as my potting mix to grow tomatoes, squash, strawberries, and more.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mulch in Wicking System

can you show a picture of your mulch so we can see the size of it.

o
RE: Mulch in Wicking System

Cedar mulch and hard woods are a no no, they tie up too much nitrogen.
Compost is too water retentive ,keeping it too wet causes root rot. You can use compost but only as a minor part of the mix.

I am sure some gardeners can offer up their proven formulas for grow mix.
something Cheap and something that works well, may not be the same thing. Rememmber it all starts with the mix,investing a few extra $ will be worth it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here