Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
keengardener2013

Growing cucumbers in pots

keengardener2013
10 years ago

Hi friends,

I am trying my hand at growing cucumbers in pots. Am not sure of the type of cucumbers, but got these seeds from a friends. Put them in a 9cm pot and got 4 plants sprouting. Now the size of these plants is itself 9cm, so am wondering if it would be a good idea to move these into different pots, or is it too late now. Also, would I get a decent yield in 9cm pots?

Thanks

Comments (6)

• Ohiofem 6a/5b Southwest Ohio
    10 years ago

I started my Diva cucumbers in 4 inch (10 cm.) pots indoors May 6, allowing only one seedling to develop in each one. I planted two of them outside in a 25-gallon (95 liters) pot at two weeks old. Two weeks later I direct seeded two more cucumbers in the same pot. What you see in this photo are four cucumber plants in that pot today. Each of the older vines have at least four cucumbers on them that are ready for harvest. The vines are already 8-10 feet long. They have climbed up a 4 foot tomato cage and come back down to the ground.

So my answer to your question is yes, you should thin those four plants to the strongest one and then carefully transplant that one into a much bigger pot. And no, you won't get a decent yield in a 9 cm. pot.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

very nice picture. Ohiofem

keengardener2013; You will get 0 yeald in a 9cm pot. If you have a 55 gallon barrel you can keep all 4.

Is it real hot where you are in india. We are running 22-C to 27-C in Cincinnati,OH USA

• squirrelwhispererpup
    10 years ago

I had six vines in one 20 gallon fabric pot. I hadn't intended to keep all six but I have a hard time thinning and there was no one plant that seemed less worthy than the others. I watered daily and fed generously and they were very productive but when the temperature rose to 107 last weekend (sorry I do not know how to convert that to Celsius, I know I should), all of their fruit became bitter no matter how much moisture I supplied, so they are now gone. I would give yours a little more room.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

The temp is 107 107f 107F

Adding the letter f to the temp alows the computer to do the calculation when you hold the mouse pointer over it.

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    10 years ago

I'm trying cucumbers, Boston Pickler, for the first time. Not a big fan of cucumbers, but, oh yeah, I love pickles!! Sounds like a no brainer. The only dicey part is that we just started them yesterday, and the DTM on the package says 53 days. So yes, I know I'm a bit of a gambler, but with any luck and a warmish Septemder, we should get a few to mature.

• sharonrossy
    10 years ago

I've had great luck growing Cukes in containers. This year due to spacing issues with my tomatoes in containers I have planted them in ground in another location and hoping for the best. Since the last few days have been warm and sunny for a change, they have really taken off!