Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My cucumber plants are turning pale and blossome dropping off

Posted by tracychow none (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 2:29

I'm a newbie in gardening. i started growing the cucumber in pot this april and they were growing well.
3 weeks ago, the plants start to have male flowers buds and i have found some female flower bud since last week.
however, the many of the male flower buds drop off before it opened. And i found my plants are getting pale.
what's wrong with my plants? am i watering too much / less ? too much sunlight or too hot? Cause i'm living in HK and the average temperature during daytime is around 30C from May to July. Please help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My cucumber plants are turning pale and blossome dropping off

Looks like a nitrogen deficiency. How often are you watering?

You should wait until the top two inches of soil is dry before watering. Then drench the soil until you get some good run off from the drain holes.

Stick your finger to you second knuckle. If it comes out dry, then water.

Next time they are due for a watering, give them a feeding with a fret that has a good amount of soluble nitrogen.

Too high temps can cause blossom drop, but I think overwatering/underfeeding is one of your issues.

Do you have bees visiting the flowers often? Pollination could also be a problem. If there are no bees, you will need to hand pollinate with an artists paintbrush.

o
RE: My cucumber plants are turning pale and blossome dropping off

Thanks howelbama,
i water them everyday. i will take your advice and feed them with fertilizer. is phostrogen a right choice?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here