Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
uses for bark / DE / granite dust?

Posted by greentoe357 z7b Brooklyn NY (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 15, 13 at 3:12

When all the gritty mix ingredients are screened through insect screen, what do you do with each of the three kinds of dust?

I've seen recommendations to use bark dust where peat would be used. Is it because bark is somehow better - or is it because it's already there? Peat is pretty cheap where I am, so if it's even a little better, I'd skip the bark.

I've also seen advice to roll seeds in DE/Turface dust before planting, so that moisture is retained close to them and so they germinate easier.

Any other gardening- or not related uses of these dusts? I only have indoor space.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: uses for bark / DE / granite dust?

• Posted by mksmth oklahoma 7a (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 16, 13 at 13:12

you can amend you flower beds with the dust.

o

I'm not sure if this will be helpful or not since you only have indoor space but...

I've read about DE being used as a mechanical pesticide because the edges of the particles can cut through exoskeletons of insects. There are several threads on this throughout the forum (just do a quick search typing in 'diatomaceous earth'). Most look like they just put it in the soil. There are also a couple threads on the forum about using it as flea treatment for pets. But where I originally heard of it was here where the rinsings containing the dust were actually sprayed on plants to kill aphids, in this case.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but the particle size for the 5:1:1 mix is dust to 3/8." So I think you could use the dust from your 1:1:1 gritty mix in the 5:1:1 mix if you use that in other container plants.

o

I am afraid if I use bark dust in the 511 mix, the mix will be too water-retentive because of the particles being too small. Although peat moss is not bigger, so maybe not.

Meanwhile, I've played around with calcined DE (Napa Floor-Dry) fine particles that fell through 1/16 screen. It is VERY water-retentive. I moistened it a bit in a bowl, and it's been DAYS that it's been damp, even though I regularly mix it, so the dry top layer is mixed in with the wet inner layers. Does anybody use DE/turface particles under 1/16?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here