Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best Soil Mixture??

Posted by hc_ffootball2002 none (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 29, 11 at 4:50

I'm thinking about growing vegetables in containers pretty soon. Possibly cherry tomatoes, eggplant, calabash gourd, cucumbers, soybean. Since regular soil doesn't work well or (at all) what soil mixture do you recommend?? Thanks! :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best Soil Mixture??

Search for Al's 5-1-1 mix here. Much better than any bagged soil.

o

Oh i see..
What about this? I heard these mixtures work...

Mixture #1:
3 cubic ft pine bark (also fir or hemlock) (1 big bag) OR Sunshine Professional Growing Mix
5 gallons (sphagnum) peat
5 gallons perlite, Turfacem Gran-i-Grit, Haydite, lava rock, Schultz soil conditioner (may use compost if these are unavailable)
1 cup lime (or gympsum)
2 cups CRF (I add Osmocote plus, a 6-month controlled release fertilizer at the rate of about 1 tablespoon per gallon of potting mix) or Scott�s Micromax
1 gal composted manure

OR

Mixture #2
MiracleGro Moisture Control, MircaleGro Organic Choice
Compost Manure
Sphagnum peat

o

Why the compost?

If you read this thread, you will understand why is has no purpose in containers.

Mike:-)

Here is a link that might be useful: How soil works in containers/Tapla

o

football you did ask for the best and the reply you recieved is one of the best ....you can use anything you like ..the 5:1:1 is the choice of many,many sucessful container growers here

If you are going to start to container grow you should do some reading on why certain additives may be good in the ground but not in a container,,,how water and air transfer thru soil and retain water ,,,
Read the above link How soils work in containers ,read it a couple of times thats the best place to start good luck

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here