Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lime substitue

Posted by bondo2 11 Egypt (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 10, 13 at 7:01

Hi,

I made my own self irrigated pots (like earthbox or earthainer) and and am using peat moss for medium but I have no access to lime to add to it. I am thinking of 2 alternatives but I need help:
1. Granite/marble powder
2. Crushed sea shells (just those regular shells found on the beach)

Would they work ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lime substitue

just straight peat ?

BZ

o

Peat and perlite mixture

o

You coud use gypsum for calcium, and epsom salts for magnesium, in place if the lime. What are you planning on growing?

o

I like to grow mostly tomatoes, bell peppers, coriander and parsley. I don't have gypsum, how do I use the epsom with this setup ?.
I understand that lime is also to fix the PH of peat, am I correct ?

o

Lime = Calcium + Magnesium
Gypsum = Calcium
Epsom Salt = Magnesium

Thus, the Gypsum + Epsom Salt are required to provide both elements found in the Dolomitic Lime.

Lime does raise the pH of a mix, yes.

Josh

o

How much should I add to my peat ?
Isn't granite powder the same ?
Is gypsum the same used in plaster ?

o

yes same as plaster, but 99.9% of plaster used in building has additives in it to help it set etc..so I wouldn't use that for plants.

granite powder may have some K in it depending where it comes from after a quick google.

as for how much gypsum to use I wouldn't go overboard start out with the tablespoon a gallon and see how it goes.

BZ

o

But all that won't fix the acidity of Peat

o

Do you have any woodashes?

Josh

o

Not really but I have coal (wood), would that work ?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here