Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cleome in Container?

Posted by newbie_in_nj 6b E/Central NJ (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 15, 09 at 7:16

I have a few Cleome with nowhere to put them in the ground with enough sun.

I have some three gallon containers I can use.

I don't care if Cleome don't reach their full 5-6 feet height like last year in ground but want to know if they'll flower in 3 gallon container.

Root mass wasn't so large when I pulled them out last Fall that they'd seem to resent too much being in container that size.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cleome in Container?

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 15, 09 at 10:20

Mmhmm - sure will, if you provide basic cultural conditions the plants tolerate well. I have some in containers now. I did notice that they really need a considerable amount of N to keep them happy, so if you combine them with other plants, it would prolly be wise to lean heavily toward mates that are grown primarily for foliage or are known N-hogs.

Al

o

I grew some cleome in containers a few years ago. They were seeds sent as freebies with an order so I tried them out.

They did in fact get quite tall. I don't recall exactly how tall, but 3-4' at least. I don't recall doing anything special with them and I don't recall their being particularly challenging although I do recall thinking I should have planted them with something more sturdy around them for support as they got pretty top heavy I seem to recall.

Anyway, not being much help, just saying that I don't think you will have any troubles with them in containers if you are able to grow other annual plants in containers successfully.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 15, 09 at 18:38

Oh yeah - I've already pinched twice to promote a bushy, instead of a tall, plant.

Al

o

Thanks!

I've already pinched them twice to promote branching and keep them in check in sowing containers. Put stake in pot to keep it growing relatively straight for a while. Will replace with taller one as it grows since last year the Cleome had a mind of it's own when it came to bending and reaching. If stake in container doesn't hold I'll figure something out if it gets too top heavy. They're in much fuller sun location where I placed containers this year so that might not be a problem since it won't have to reach.

I put relatively small Nicotiana x sanderae in each pot with Cleome to cover bare bottoms. :)

Last year if leaves yellowed too much I scratched in some dried blood meal around plants.

At least I know Cleome and Nicotiana are left alone pretty much by critters so their containers went out into sunny indentations between Boxwood along driveway for some color and whimsy.

Now I just have to hope deer don't step on them while roaming through there during the night.

Thanks again one and all.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here