Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
missmygardens

Cleome in Container?

MissMyGardens
14 years ago

I have a few Cleome with nowhere to put them in the ground with enough sun.

I have some three gallon containers I can use.

I don't care if Cleome don't reach their full 5-6 feet height like last year in ground but want to know if they'll flower in 3 gallon container.

Root mass wasn't so large when I pulled them out last Fall that they'd seem to resent too much being in container that size.

Thanks!

Comments (4)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    14 years ago

Mmhmm - sure will, if you provide basic cultural conditions the plants tolerate well. I have some in containers now. I did notice that they really need a considerable amount of N to keep them happy, so if you combine them with other plants, it would prolly be wise to lean heavily toward mates that are grown primarily for foliage or are known N-hogs.

Al

• justaguy2
    14 years ago

I grew some cleome in containers a few years ago. They were seeds sent as freebies with an order so I tried them out.

They did in fact get quite tall. I don't recall exactly how tall, but 3-4' at least. I don't recall doing anything special with them and I don't recall their being particularly challenging although I do recall thinking I should have planted them with something more sturdy around them for support as they got pretty top heavy I seem to recall.

Anyway, not being much help, just saying that I don't think you will have any troubles with them in containers if you are able to grow other annual plants in containers successfully.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    14 years ago

Oh yeah - I've already pinched twice to promote a bushy, instead of a tall, plant.

Al

• MissMyGardens
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks!

I've already pinched them twice to promote branching and keep them in check in sowing containers. Put stake in pot to keep it growing relatively straight for a while. Will replace with taller one as it grows since last year the Cleome had a mind of it's own when it came to bending and reaching. If stake in container doesn't hold I'll figure something out if it gets too top heavy. They're in much fuller sun location where I placed containers this year so that might not be a problem since it won't have to reach.

I put relatively small Nicotiana x sanderae in each pot with Cleome to cover bare bottoms. :)

Last year if leaves yellowed too much I scratched in some dried blood meal around plants.

At least I know Cleome and Nicotiana are left alone pretty much by critters so their containers went out into sunny indentations between Boxwood along driveway for some color and whimsy.

Now I just have to hope deer don't step on them while roaming through there during the night.

Thanks again one and all.