Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hc_ffootball2002

Fruits That Can Grow in Containers??

hc_ffootball2002
12 years ago

I heard there are many types of vegetables that are ideal for container gardening, such as cucumbers, squash, and eggplant. But, as for fruits can they grow well too?If so, what kinds? I'm looking for fruits that can grow in 5-18 gallon containers. Thanks!

Comments (11)

• msfuzz
    12 years ago

Strawberries grow great in containers! I think a lot of people here grow blueberries as well. A fair number of people grow Meyer lemons... Being able to grow fruit in containers, IMHO, has a lot less to do with the fact that it's fruit, and a lot more to do with the conditions you're growing it under. I live in Colorado, and if I were to leave a large container outside year round, there's no way a lemon tree would survive. I think growing any kind of fruit/vegetable 100% indoors is difficult, although not impossible. Once you figure out whether you want to grow indoors, outdoors, combo, etc, then you have a starting place for deciding what fruit to grow. :)

• jojosplants
    12 years ago

Tomato's . ;-)

msfuzz gave some great suggestions.
    I guess alot of what you can or should plant would depend on if you want to or need to overwinter them someplace.

It's warm enough here I leave them all in the yard. I have guava, figs, citrus, had strawberries. We have a member growing amazing mango's in Florida.

Last season I grew ground cherry's.

As far as container size, that I'm not real sure of. I guess you would need to decide on a fruit and then research the space needed.

Mine are in 5 gal and up. But with the tree's they are root pruned and can be kept in a smaller container.

JoJo

• btbarbara
    12 years ago

I've got strawberries in small hanging pots, blueberries in half-whiskey-barrel-size containers, cantaloupe in an 18-gal tub, and watermelon in various sizes of containers...the largest is a 31-gal rubbermaid it shares with two pepper plants, the smallest is 14"x14". Obviously the ones in the smallest pots are not doing as well as the bigger ones but they've set fruit and are looking good.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Citrus, dwarf peach, plums, nectarines, grapes....

Josh

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    12 years ago

I've got lots of fruits in 5 to 15 gallon containers: blueberry, blackberry, plum, pluot, apricot, peach, nectarine, grape, fig, sweet cherry, and citrus. Just about everything. It all does well. In fact fruit quality is often higher in pots than in-ground. Any rootstock will work but dwarf precocious is best. But I've had 3-4 trees on standard rootstock that bore fruit the second year.

Below are three nectarines on Nemaguard that bore 36 fruit with very high sugar, 18-33 brix, in the second leaf. All this in a 15 gallon pot!!

{{gwi:40821}}

Another view showing that there are indeed three trees in that small pot.

{{gwi:40822}}

How about a Star blueberry that has been in the same 15 gallon pot for 7 years without repotting. It bore 18 lbs of fruit in 2010.

{{gwi:40823}}

• hc_ffootball2002
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oppps I forgot to mention I live in Hawaii. Do you still think strawberries and blueberries can still grow in Hawaii?
    fruitnut: Thanks for sharing the pics! They're awesome shows containers can produce and produce WELL :)

12 years ago

I know a guy in Jakarta Indonesia growing the same seedless table grapes I grow. He gets two crops a year. Each crop is forced by pruning soon after harvest. That would be a steep learning curve but could be done in pots.

There have been people on these forums talking about trying blueberries in HI. No reports of success. You need the very lowest chilling cultivars like Sharpblue to even try.

The tropical fruits can be grown in pots just like I do. They will be much less trouble both from a cropping standpoint and pest issues.

Things like grapes would do best in a poly covered high tunnel to reduce disease and fruit rot. The tropical fruits are mostly well adapted to rain and humidity. Many of my crops do best with no summer rain like in CA.

• ykerzner
    12 years ago

Bananas, citrus, strawberries should be fine in Hawaii. It might not be cold enough in the winter for blueberries.

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    12 years ago

I am growing raspberries in a half whiskey barrel. They will probably outgrow the barrel in a couple years, then I can just get another whiskey barrel. They seem to be very forgiving of irregular watering.

• trungson
    12 years ago

I have about 30 blueberry plants of all different varieties growing in containers (5g to 15g). So yes, blueberries are excellent in containers.

@fruitnut: wow! 3-in-1 and only in a 15g pot. Very inspiring. I wonder how often do you have to water it?

12 years ago

trungson: I water all my potted fruits once a day in summer. A few are only watered once every 2-3 days.