Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
palm_shade

Yellow fronds after potting in 5-1-1

Palm_shade
10 years ago

Ive repotted about 10 of my houseplants in the 5-1-1 potting mix and on 1 Kentia an Areca and a palour palm im getting 1 or 2 yellow fronds, typically a lower smaller frond (s) is turning yellow then brown and dying, is there an obvious reason for this?
Thanks

Comments (7)

• Palm_shade
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Heres my Palour.

• tamela_star
    10 years ago

It could just be in shock from being repotted. Some plants will do that, and will do fine after the initial shock from being transplanted. I've had plants do that before and they turned out fine after. Just trim off the dead leaves other than that your plants look beautiful.

• Palm_shade
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks thats my largest Areca and favourite
    transplant shock makes sense ill go with that :)

All my plants ive transplanted in to the 5-1-1 apart from the yellowing are showing postive signs, im getting lots of new growth, ive got lots of Spears coming up on my palms, I came back from my hols yesterday and found 2 spears on 1 of my Kentias had fully opened in a week, that was the kentia I was forced to do abit of root work on to get it potted properly so I was very happy.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Hello!
    Are you fertilizing regularly?

Also, how close to the 5-1-1 is your mix?
    That first pic looks peaty, but I can't see much detail.

Josh

• Palm_shade
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Josh
    Ive added crf with micro in to the mix at the recommended strength then ive watered them all in well and watered them twice more all with clean water (ro) then yesterday ive introduced water soluble fertilizer with micro at half strength recommend, I will continue with that for possibly 1-2 more waterings then up to recommend, I am slightly curious about when to water tho, I know in peat potting mixes you should wait until the top inch or 2 is dry for most plants would that be the same in 5-1-1 or should I water more frequently?
    The ratio of peat is 1 to 5 parts bark and 1 part perlite, I think it looks dark cause the bark is wet, in that mix the bark I used was very dark (untreated) I later managed to get hold of proper potting bark, it was really hard to get hold of lol

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

After a recent re-potting, you do want to keep the mix more evenly moist so that roots in the upper inches do not dry out and die. Once those roots are established, then you can let the mix dry out more between waterings. The yellow older leaves are probably the result of shock, as mentioned, and possibly an interruption in the availability of nutrients. If you have the plants on a fertilizer regimen now, they should do just fine.

Josh

• Palm_shade
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok thanks, Ill water abit more frequently.