Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Eggplant Maintenance & Solutions

Posted by legend88ls NJ (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 20, 13 at 8:59

Hello, I have a Black Beauty eggplant in a 6 gallon container and up until now it's been doing well. A couple of weeks ago I had a bout with some flea beetles but i believe they are gone, and since have had lots of flowers which resulted in 5 eggplant fruits. However, I want to make sure I can maintain this plant properly, since some of the eggplants seem to fall off prematurely and am concerned. Flowers are falling too. It appears the plant is root-bound, and the lower leaves are yellowing. The upper leaves are a lighter shade of green too. There is new growth at the top, which is good, but I want to make sure I can get the most out of it until fruits mature. For instance, am I overwatering? I recently gave it some Foliage-Pro 9-3-6 too. The pic explains better. Tks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Eggplant Maintenance & Solutions

legend88ls, flowering plants go through a cycle of vegetative (growing) and reproductive (flowering/fruiting) stages.
During vegetative growth, water, nutrients and adequate light are necessary and must be available.
As the plant enters its reproductive cycle, it draws on its reserves - carbohydrates and amino acids - which have been manufactured and stored.
Interposing nitrogen and/or water at this stage will stimulate the plant to start growing again. In extreme cases (periods of unseasonal rainfall) the plant will drop all its flowers and/or fruits and sprout new leaves.
I would recommend that you cut back on watering and withhold fertilizer altogether.
The Earthbox ™ system is a good model. The fertilizer is placed at the outset and as the plant flowers and starts to set fruit, watering can be adjusted by replenishing the reservoir at longer intervals or not filling it as much.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here