Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Holy cantaloupe, Batman!

Posted by btbarbara none (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 25, 11 at 9:06

My container watermelons have been booming for a while (picked a 20-pounder this weekend but it wasn't ripe yet...still got eaten though!) but I've been a little disappointed in my cantaloupe. We picked one a couple of weeks ago and have one more just about ready but that was it. Otherwise, it's been all male flowers and no females. Well, the other day (right after I'd sprayed with MG - coincidence?) I noticed a few female flowers but they were already closed up. When I looked this morning, there's the one big one that's almost ready and at least NINE between baseball and softball size! They're all on different vines from the same plant. It's in an 18-gal tub by itself. The single mom in me is cringing thinking there's no way that plant can support that many fruits at once (yes, I really think like that!) but I hate to clip any off. I want to go with the theory that it will regulate itself and won't set fruit it can't handle but I don't want to see them all wither either. Thoughts? Anything I can do to give them a fighting chance?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Holy cantaloupe, Batman!

Suggest you don't prune any fruit. The plant will abort any that it can't handle. I've got 16 muskmelons on 2 plants....the more the merrier.

o

Very cool. I'd like to know what kind of cantaloupe you and edweather are going since you both seem to be doing so well.

o

I'm growing the Rocky Ford green fleshed muskmelon from Whillite Seed Company. They are softball sized and very sweet. I've grown them before and they were the most productive, and best tasting.

o

The label is outside and it's actually raining here for once but I want to say it's Hale's Best Jumbo. It was actually a seedling I got at either Walmart or Home Depot...can't remember now. My boys like cantaloupe but since I've never grown them before, I didn't know anything about the different varieties so I took what I could find.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here