Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
btbarbara

Holy cantaloupe, Batman!

btbarbara
12 years ago

My container watermelons have been booming for a while (picked a 20-pounder this weekend but it wasn't ripe yet...still got eaten though!) but I've been a little disappointed in my cantaloupe. We picked one a couple of weeks ago and have one more just about ready but that was it. Otherwise, it's been all male flowers and no females. Well, the other day (right after I'd sprayed with MG - coincidence?) I noticed a few female flowers but they were already closed up. When I looked this morning, there's the one big one that's almost ready and at least NINE between baseball and softball size! They're all on different vines from the same plant. It's in an 18-gal tub by itself. The single mom in me is cringing thinking there's no way that plant can support that many fruits at once (yes, I really think like that!) but I hate to clip any off. I want to go with the theory that it will regulate itself and won't set fruit it can't handle but I don't want to see them all wither either. Thoughts? Anything I can do to give them a fighting chance?

Comments (4)