Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pot sealant

Posted by rmontcal (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 12, 11 at 10:03

Over the winter I decorated several terra cotta pots with decoupage themes. I have a chiquita banana sticker pot, an Obama pot and a pot covered with stickers that you get when you vote that I have been saving for a while. I thought the Mod Podge that I used would be good enough, but as soon as put a plant in one of these and watered it, the water went through the porous clay and re-wetted the Mod Podge. So I need something to seal the terra cotta from the inside.

But I don't want to use anything that is a chemical, like a paint or something like that. I know there has to be a natural water proofer out there that makes sense. I just don't know what it might be.

Some sort of food grade sealant? Beeswax?

TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pot sealant

what about grout sealant. its used on kitchen tiles. maybe theres a food grade grout sealer.

o

There is a sealant for wooden salad bowls, but I'm not sure of the name, maybe try a google for something along the lines of food safe sealants.

JoJo

o

>>> But I don't want to use anything that is a chemical, like a paint or something like that. I know there has to be a natural water proofer out there that makes sense. I just don't know what it might be.

That is really limiting your options. There are plenty of natural based types of water-proofers/sealers that can be used, but the problem is duration. All the options I'm aware of will wear off when used as a planter and submitted to frequent watering. Some wear much faster than others: non-drying oils, vaseline, etc won't last long vs. sealing with waxes will be longer but not much more than a season. Shellac is an amazing product is considered food safe (though don't ask where it came from). Once you open the typical can of shellac sealer, you will immediately think "chemical" however and it's mixed with an alcohol base to form a varnish. That will also wear when used to seal internally.

You could try gluing bubblewrap or thick (8mil) plastic to the interior, but that isn't completely waterproof. But if you're even willing to use glue, that is a chemical too and you could even superglue the entire interior.

I know quite a bit about sealers from woodworking, but understand I don't know much about TC other than the latest status-quo is using concerete/masonry sealers (which is what you want to avoid). What is the reason you want to avoid using "chemicals like a paint"? There is the Garden & Flower Crafts forum.

o

I think you may have to just move on.

o

What about using them as cache pots? There are lots of "pot liners" available (florist supplies may be a good place to look).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here