Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hummus Rich, well draining soil?

Posted by spaceman13 6b (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 11, 13 at 10:35

I just got a Firecracker Fern (Russelia Equistriformis) that calls for a "hummus rich, well drained" soil. I've been using Al's "5-1-1" and "Gritty Mix" with great results for a few years now.
I read in his posts he does not recommend adding compost, (although I do top dress the gritty mix with leaf mould to conserve moisture and add nutrients).

How would one modify one of these soils for a plant that calls for hummus rich soil?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hummus Rich, well draining soil?

Hummus rich well drained soil is a suggestion, assuming you are planting in your garden, not a container. You will get great results in your container with either of Al's mixes. Al

o

So would "Hummus rich" be more of a description of fertilization rather than a descriptor of soil composition?

o

Hummus is the result of vegetative matter in the soil being broken down by the micro organisms in the soil. In the ground it often eliminates the use of any fertilizers. Its use in containers is limited or eliminated, as it has a generally negative effect on drainage. In containers it is replaced by synthetic, or chemical fertilizers, in most cases, which are ready to use by the plant, and do not require the micro organisms to convert to a useable state for the plant to use. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here