Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Zuke seedlings and too much rain

Posted by jardinier_79 PA 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 2, 13 at 10:39

I planted two zuke seeds June 1 and they came up just fine. They now have two 'real' leaves of decent size and the second set is growing. Since they appeared we've had buckets of rain. So much so that I've had to go out daily to carefully dump out the excess water from the pot reservoirs. I don't know if it's due to the rain or not, but the seedlings have stagnated in their growth. The second set of leaves hasn't grown hardly at all in probably 4-5 days. The one has a bit of powdery mildew on it because of all the rain and I don't know if that would be affecting the growth. Any insight would be appreciated.
I've attached a photo.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Zuke seedlings and too much rain

jardinier_79,

As you described above, the rains are exactly why your plant's aren't showing signs of rapid growth. If the powdery mildew does not go away, you will have to use a copper spray to help stop the spreading.

Ron

o

Why do your outdoor containers have reservoirs? Unless they are self watering pots, they should drain freely. With all the rain we've had, plant reservoirs and saucers are a death sentence for outside containers.

As for powdery mildew, it is very difficult to cure. The best practice is prevention. Zucchini grows so fast, you could start over, but you would need fresh soil, and you would need to treat them from the beginning with something that will prevent PM. On the other hand, your plants are young enough and appear to be only lightly infected, so you may be able to keep it under control. I don't think copper spray is the best choice. Here is an excellent article discussing many organic methods for preventing/slowing down PM. It is specifically for hydroponic growing, but has an excellent rundown on sprays. I have used milk and serenade with some success.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to beat powdery mildew

o

Ohiofem,

As the OP mentioned, they go out frequently to dump the excess water out of the reservoir when it rains. I would say that is a good idea as opposed to never dumping it out which will kill the plant. There are a lot of gardeners that grow this way because they don't want to water every day or multiple times a day.

Great link Ohiofem, thanks.

Ron

o

Thanks for all the info! We had a couple of dry days, the soil dried out, and my plants look like they're on the way to zuke proliferation. Thanks again!

o

Sometimes in my garden (I live in NY) we can have a typical NY rainstorm and my pots can become waterlogged - and it can take sometime for my plants to recover (if they don't die). I got really frustrated but started using this product called Brolly (www.brollyusa.com) and its helped a lot. It has a canopy that you can attach during excessive rain and remove it once the rain has stopped. So simple but really helped. Hope this helps - good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here