Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tempusflits

Too late to start zucchini?

tempusflits
11 years ago

I recently read someplace the best way to avoid SVB is to wait until after the 4th of July to plant. I've done that, and the seed has germinated. Yet a recent post here says it's too late to start zukes. I guess I'd better keep my fingers crossed? Has anyone else tried a late planting? I'm in central Illinois if that makes any difference.

Comments (11)

• Lynne Reno
    11 years ago

they grow super fast, I can't imagine why it would be too late

• tempusflits
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks. Glad to hear it! Last year I didn't get one zucchini thanks to SVBs. I'm looking forward to harvesting a few this year . . . and, of course, I love the blossoms.

• wingspings
    11 years ago

I just started 2 containers one with zukes the other with summer squash. I am in Massachusetts and I think that I should be able to get pretty good results with this late planting

• denninmi
    11 years ago

Ordinarily, I would say "iffy" although probably would still work. But the forecast for the midwest/great lakes through October is for much above normal temps. If any year is the year to do it, this is the year.

When you grow them in the fall, they are more prone to powdery mildew because of the shorter days, average cooler night temps, and heavy dew. You may want to do some preventative spraying for that.

• Lynne Reno
    11 years ago

I had a thrip invasion kill all my squash and zucchini seedlings shortly after planting them but I replanted (twice) and since then have had no issues. I grow everything in containers and keep the ground clear of debris under the containers and use diatomaceous earth liberally -no problems so far..

• captiveroots
    11 years ago

zukes should be fine! At the rate our weather is going it will be 70 degrees every day in October (not that I'm complaining!)

I am planting zukes in a container this week (in Buffalo, NY). I'm sure you will get plenty before the end of fall!

• tempusflits
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all of the encouragement. The little dears are up. The seedlings are so large they make me smile. They're quite a contrast to the lettuce seedlings which have also come up but are so tiny. Anyway here's wishing us a mild and lingering fall! I also appreciate the tip about the mildew.

• wingspings
    11 years ago

Mine started popping through the soil mix yesterday!!! wont be long now ha ha

• ziyakr
    11 years ago

I've done the same thing, planted zukes (1st time, 3 in an 11 gallon tub, 1 in a 5 gal tub) back in May only to have them die horribly at the slimy mercy of a SVB wormy thing (*ick*). Replanted in mid-July and the plants TOOK OFF, now at about 5 weeks they are blooming and the one in the small tub has 2 tiny zucchini! I keep checking for SVBs, even tho it should be too late in the year. I'm hoping to harvest quite a few, even tho the tomatoes and peppers seem to be pretty much done for the summer.

Ziya

• springtogarden
    10 years ago

Just curious, how did it go for you all? I did this for my zucchinis this year. Hoping it works.

This post was edited by gardengal13 on Thu, Aug 8, 13 at 6:06

• springtogarden
    10 years ago

Well, a little update. My plants are nearly 2 feet wide and male flowers are formed but not open. I can see a few female flowers too. The weather has been cooperating so it looks good for my squash :).