Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Examples of Male and Female Squash Blossoms

Posted by jojosplants Az. z. 9 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 18, 11 at 10:45

There have been a few questions lately on what to look for in a blossom to hand pollinate. I thought I'd share a few pictures I have, showing the difference in them.

Here is a Yellow Squash.
The squash with the blossom on it (to the right) is the "female". If you look to the left and down a little, you will see the male, it's just the flower. The squash, melons, and gourds, will form a small fruit before the flower opens, the male will be just a flower.

Photobucket

Here is a small female in between 2 male flowers. And to the left, a larger male flower.

Photobucket

This is just a male flower on my Spaghetti squash.

Photobucket

And here is a little squash/ female of the Spaghetti. The funny background is my "dead" garden tools, grave yard. lol...

Photobucket

This is a new zucchini squash i'm trying , a ball shape. If you look close , you will see a male flower to each side of the little squash.

Photobucket

2 male flowers to the left.

Photobucket

And just for fun, Twins! lol...
These flowers started out one stem, and branched at the end to be 2 flowers joined.
I've never seen one like this.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I will try and get some pictures of blooming flowers. I get busy and don't always get out early enough. ;-)

To hand pollinate, I simply peel back the petals on the male flower, and gently rub the stamen in the female flower.
The trick is to have 2 open at the same time! :-) and you need to get out early , the blooms don't last long.

JoJo

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Examples of Male and Female Squash Blossoms

this is a female pumpkin.
Photobucket

o

HI Terry,
Great picture! Thanks for adding it! Carving or pie? :-) I didn't get any pumpkin in yet, I may still try one or 2 of the 'baby boo' for the kids for Halloween.

I know a few years ago my gourds were not doing well, and hand pollinating was a little confusing at first, so I hope these pictures help some who are new at it.

JoJo

o
more pic

glad you posted those pics. mine is an atlantic giant in a swc. also have knuckle head, gold medal and aspen growing.
Photobucket

o

Hey Jojo

Nice job and to think you can grow such good veggies in your heat.

Wonderful!

Mike

o

Hey Mike!
Thanks... :-)

Good to see you.

Actually these plants do well with out heat as long as their watered good each day.

JoJo

o

Three of my female flowers opened today but not the males can I still pull off the outside and use them to pollinate the females? I was really sad I have been waiting all week running out at the crack of dawn then finally on mothers day they opened only to be let down by the men, lol.

o

Hey, JoJo!

Great looking squash!

I never really paid much attention to the flowers, so I wanted to thank you for that information!

Happy Belated Mother's Day to you! :-)

o

Desireea3

I thought is was the support of the young one that the men failed to show up lol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here