Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jojosplants

Examples of Male and Female Squash Blossoms

jojosplants
12 years ago

There have been a few questions lately on what to look for in a blossom to hand pollinate. I thought I'd share a few pictures I have, showing the difference in them.

Here is a Yellow Squash.

The squash with the blossom on it (to the right) is the "female". If you look to the left and down a little, you will see the male, it's just the flower. The squash, melons, and gourds, will form a small fruit before the flower opens, the male will be just a flower.

{{gwi:41307}}

Here is a small female in between 2 male flowers. And to the left, a larger male flower.

{{gwi:41308}}

This is just a male flower on my Spaghetti squash.

{{gwi:41309}}

And here is a little squash/ female of the Spaghetti. The funny background is my "dead" garden tools, grave yard. lol...

{{gwi:41310}}

This is a new zucchini squash i'm trying , a ball shape. If you look close , you will see a male flower to each side of the little squash.

{{gwi:41311}}

2 male flowers to the left.

{{gwi:41312}}

And just for fun, Twins! lol...

These flowers started out one stem, and branched at the end to be 2 flowers joined.

I've never seen one like this.

{{gwi:41313}}

{{gwi:41314}}

I will try and get some pictures of blooming flowers. I get busy and don't always get out early enough. ;-)

To hand pollinate, I simply peel back the petals on the male flower, and gently rub the stamen in the female flower.

The trick is to have 2 open at the same time! :-) and you need to get out early , the blooms don't last long.

JoJo

Comments (8)