Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Raised bed versus container gardening

Posted by jamb 8 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 9, 11 at 10:48

Which forum would you recommend for growing veggies in a raised bed. I have been lurking in containers, but growing in 5 gal buckets seems to be totally differnt than a raised bed.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Raised bed versus container gardening

Hi, If memory serves, the vegetable gardening forum usually has a lot of discussion regarding raised beds. If there is a square foot gardening forum you could try that. Some forums are even available for specific veggies like tomatoes. Good luck! :)

o
RE: Raised bed versus container gardening

Raised beds have the advantage of being in/on the ground, providing better drainage with no perched water. They also provide more space, more moisture retention, and take up WAY less space in ragards to how much you can plant per square foot. The advantages with growing in containers are that you can move them as needed, for storms, frost etc. Also, you can apply your fertilizer specifically as needed for each plant. Not to mention you can grow veggies in places where you cannot make a raised bed, like apartment patios and balconies. If I had to choose though, I'd definately go for the raised bed if I had the ability to do so.

Joe

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here