Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Algae on soil

Posted by leuconoe none (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 10:51

I'm finding algae on the soil even when the surface is bone dry. Just tried scraping off top layer and drying it out, but some plants are drooping. I can't seem to give them the right amount of water. Either its damp and there's algae, or it's dry and there's algae. I've Googled lots about it, but I'd love some first hand experience.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Algae on soil

You posted no pics or description of what soil and/or amendments or watering regimen, which makes it difficult to say for sure what is wrong and/or recomend steps you could take.

Algae grows in water/very moist conditions.Sounds to me like your soil is holding too much moisture. Read the "Container Soils - Water Movement and Retention XX" post below. it will help you understand plants and how they grow and how water acts in a enclosed environment, like a pot. You can make your own fast draining potting mix, or if you cant, or don't want to, at least switch to a "premium" potting mix that isn't mostly peat moss and drains well, and put in a bunch of extra pearlite, Perhaps a fan to help evaporate excess moisture.

o
RE: Algae on soil

A problem sometimes noted in commercial nursery production is the growth on the surface of pots of Liverwort. More common in low light, high humidity conditions. We used to peel it off and remove from the area. Most commonly found among pots getting too much water. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here