Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
algae growth

Posted by terrybull @6400ft (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 13, 12 at 10:57

i'm experimenting with some swc buckets (there white) and one of them is showing signs of some algae. is ther something to add to the resivoir to stop it? copper, bleach,vinegar? most of them are going through the water fast enough that there is no problem. except for one.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: algae growth

Anything you put in to kill the algae will also affect the plant. You can try hydrogen peroxide, but some kinds of algae will actually benefit from it. The only total solution is to completely cover the bucket with something opaque, such that not enough sunlight gets into the reservoir to support algae growth. I've seen people use everything from opaque black cloth to aluminum foil tape. A heavy layer of spray paint might work too.

You can also check into hygrozyme or similar products, though its more of a preventative.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 13, 12 at 18:34

Algae growth in resultant of translucent containers can be quite limiting. I remember Dr C Whitcomb discussing it in his book, Plant Production in Containers II.

Al

o
Oops!

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 13, 12 at 18:37

Photobucket My bad - I added an extra word. Strike the first 'in', please.

Al

o

cover bucket with a black plastic bag to keep light out

o

Several years ago I converted a fish tank to growing cuttings in water. I could grow up to 50 cuttings at once, as long as I selected the right species. I was defeated by the algae in the water. I needed light for the cuttings, even painting the fish tank black up to the water line, there was enough light from the top to grow the algae. Al

o

C'mon Guys,

cover the bucket with...

DUCT TAPE!!!

o

o.k. spaceman.

i know some parts of this country they use duct tape to fix everything but i was looking for something else. thats why i asked the question.

but thanks everyone.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here