Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathleenon

Root-pruning a potted citrus?

kathleenon
15 years ago

I've a 22 year old citrus tree/plant that desperately needs attention. It summers outdoors in light shade and winters indoors. It hasn't been repotted in about 10 years. The top has been pruned, but not very well. I'd like to try to rejuvenate this plant as my son grew it from seed when he was very young, so it has sentimental value. Can anyone advise?

Thanks... Kathleen

Comments (10)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    15 years ago

I would start a 3 year plan now. I would depot and remove the bottom 1/3 of the root mass with a saw. I would then remove all the soil and roots from 3 wedge-shaped areas around the roots that total 1/3 of the remaining roots. Return the tree to the same pot with an appropriate soil and site it in shade temporarily until it's ready for the full sun it wants. I would repeat the procedure again next summer, removing the soil from 3 different wedges and finally complete the soil replacement at the 3rd procedure in spring of 2010 by removing the final 1/3 of the soil in the last 3 wedges.

You'll notice an immediate improvement in vitality after the first procedure. If you wish to avail yourself of additional guidance and need/want more details, let me know.

Have you read the Trees in Containers thread yet?

Al

• kathleenon
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My sincere thanks for the advice, Al. I'll get busy with pruning the tree within the next couple of days. I had not seen the Trees in Containers thread and I'll review it later (and refer all subsequent enquiries about my citrus to that thread).

Thanks again,

Kathleen

15 years ago

Ohhh! - it wasn't my intent ..... to leave you feeling like you should take your inquiries to another thread. ;o) I just thought there would be some tidbits there you might find interesting. I am, and I'm sure everyone else is pleased as punch that you've started your own thread.

Good luck.

Al

• redneck_grower
    15 years ago

Al, just curious; is there a specific reason you would prefer summertime to root prune broadleaved evergreens?

15 years ago

I still prefer those early spring repots for BLEs, but what I gather from conversations with friends that grow lots of Citrus is that they don't seem to react much differently when you repot at different times of the year, except for the fact they do seem to have a mild preference for early spring. I just chose next summer & then spring for the work to give the plant close to a year (I was thinking 10 months as an interval in both cases) to reestablish & recover its vitality. If she repotted now, another repot this coming spring would probably be pushing redundant. If you notice, I worked toward getting her back on track with repotting in spring as soon as I thought it prudent - spring of 2010.

I also repot all my tropicals and subtropical trees and most pines in the heat of summer. I'm late finishing that chore this year and have 10 or so to go, but I'm hoping to be done this weekend.

I know a fair amount about trees and repotting/root work, but I'm admittedly less well-versed in the intricacies and details surrounding Citrus culture than many/most other genera. If your experience has shown you something other than what I said - I'm all ears (said genuinely).

Al

• kathleenon
    Original Author
    15 years ago

No worries, Al. I did not feel that I was being chastised by your thread comment.

I've looked at potting mix recipes for the tree and, not having most of what's suggested on hand, I wonder if I could use 1/3 sharp sand (for drainage) and 2/3 compost? I know that citrus are heavy feeders, so I'm guessing it would benefit from the compost, but would 2/3 be too much?
    k

• redneck_grower
    15 years ago

If your experience has shown you something other than what I said - I'm all ears (said genuinely).

Oh no, Al, no more experience here. I was simply curious; and it's a curiosity with a practical implication.

You see, I'm in need of digging up an in-ground, smallish lemon tree which I will containerize. I was planning on doing it next spring, but you've given me some confidence to do it now. I rather think I would like to get it containerized before winter, anyway; I'm in a marginal climate for citrus, and I can protect it better in a pot.

Cheers!

15 years ago

I'm sorry, K, but to be honest, I think any combination of sharp sand and compost would be a disservice to your tree. If that was all I had though, I would opt for about 8-10:1, sand:compost. I never use commercially bagged container soils/mixes, but I would opt for one of those before I would use a sand/compost mix.

Lots of folks are having very good results growing in a very gritty mix of equal parts by volume, of pine bark fines: Turface: crushed granite.

Al

• kathleenon
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Your comment regarding sand/compost has been noted, Al. I'm glad I asked! I'm not sure that I'll be able to find Turface here. Can you recommend a substitute in the event that I can't? Additionally, I've just received 10 yards of freshly chipped cedar, which I use for mulch in my garden... may I replace the pine bark fines with chipped spruce bits?
    k