Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
btbarbara

I think I killed it...

btbarbara
12 years ago

I had a pumpkin (not sure what kind...it was one of those little windowsill kits the kids got for $1 at Lowe's) in an 18 gal bucket with half MG potting mix and half Black Kow. It's got a TON of drainage holes in the bottom of the bucket and it's been doing beautifully. Lately, it looks droopy about 4-6 hours after I water so I've been watering 2-3 times a day as needed. I'm in GA and it's in full sun...it's been ~100 here every day and very little rain. When it's droopy, it perks right up after watering although I've noticed that the last few days, it looks pretty tired in the afternoon, no matter what but it perks up again after dark so I figured it was just the heat. It's had lots of flowers and three little pumpkins. One got to about the size of a baseball and then suddenly got moldy and rotten (kind of like the pics I've seen of BER on tomatoes) so I cut it off and threw it away. It was in a really weird place (in the container instead of out on the vine) so I knew it wouldn't have room to grow and I wasn't surprised that it died and started to rot. The other two little babies are about the size of baseballs now.

So yesterday morning, it looked great and I watered with MG just like usual. About 5 hours later, I looked and it was AWFUL. The leaves were totally wilty and turning brown and yellow. I watered again but every time I checked, it looked worse. After dark, I walked out there and the leaves almost appear to be dissolving. I didn't think MG was supposed to burn? And I use it exactly the same way several times a week so I can't imagine it's that but it does almost look like acid eating through these leaves because it happened so fast. This morning, the leaves at the ends of the vines look good but the ones closer in look like they've been rotting for weeks. I don't think there's any hope at all.

This was really just an experiment and I'm getting tired of watering so much so I won't really be heartbroken if I lose this one but my son will and if it's something I did wrong, I'd like to know before I kill anything else...

This was about a week ago:

{{gwi:39688}}

And this is today. You can see a little bit of the vines and they still look good but up close to the plant is gross:

{{gwi:41451}}

Comments (10)

• terrybull
    12 years ago

shows signs of fertilizer burn. are you useing the fert at full strength.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Did you apply the fertilizer to the leaves?

Josh

• howelbama
    12 years ago

You should only use the MG once a week maybe less even. Looks like nitrogen burn... you can try flushing the soil heavily with freshwater. The plant may recover if it does, then you can return to feeding it in a week or two. When you fertilize you should wet the foil first then fertilize then lightly water again to help the feet sink on the soil and rinse off the surrounding foliage to prevent salt burn.

• howelbama
    12 years ago

Updates? Is it improving?

Curious :)

• btbarbara
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry...I thought I had this post set to e-mail me when there were replies and I didn't check the forum for a couple of days. This one just got worse...everything turned black and the little pumpkins started to rot. Then my other bucket of pumpkins started doing the same thing. My container garden is in the front yard (too many deer and critters in the back) and someone called my landlord and complained about my yard so I wound up dumping both containers of pumpkins hoping they'll let me keep the other stuff.

I use the MG with the hose attachment and I usually try to spray it under the leaves, directly on the soil but the pumpkin vines had started rooting themselves so I think I sprayed all around this time. I had just refilled the sprayer too so I guess it's possible that it came out too strong and didn't mix with the water good. Thankfully, my son wasn't as disappointed as I expected. We made some homemade pickles and I promised to buy him a big pumpkin to make a jack-o-lantern and he was ok.

I'll be a lot more careful with the MG from now on though and if we try pumpkins next year, I think I'll bite the bullet and do them in the ground.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

What was wrong with your yard that someone would call and complain? Your comment reminded me of this story.

• kemistry
    12 years ago

I just read that article:

"If you look at the definition of what suitable is in Webster's dictionary, it will say common. So, if you look around and you look in any other community, what's common to a front yard is a nice, grass yard with beautiful trees and bushes and flowers," he said."

What an idiot. Very sad!

• howelbama
    12 years ago

It is really sad. As long as it's done with respect, anyone should have the right to grow their own fruits and vegetables. It's just pathetic that people waste such energy on things like that when there are real issues that their energy could go towards solving. Seems like a jealousy type thing to me...

• btbarbara
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow! That story is crazy! I'm really not sure what's going on here. I rent my house through a management company and I'm wondering if the homeowner is just wanting to let it go or what. It's kind of a long story but they've been procrastinating about renewing my lease so when it expired, I just kept paying the rent. Someone from the management company came by the other day, supposedly to renew the lease and she commented on "my flowers". I was proud of my little garden and showed her everything and told her what they all were. She was shocked...especially the cantaloupe and the pumpkin covered in flowers...she said they were beautiful and she never would have known what they were. She did kind of make a face when she asked me what was in the one rubbermaid and I told her it was corn. Then 2 days later, I got a notice in the mail saying I have 30 days to "clean up the property" or be evicted. It was all very odd. I'll admit that it was pretty tacky looking when it was just various sizes of pots and buckets and boxes full of dirt but now that everything's growing and blooming, it doesn't look much different than my neighbor's cactus garden or any of the other flower beds. I do have one crazy neighbor who likes to call code enforcement, CPS, and whoever else when someone ticks her off and I know she's mad at me so it wouldn't surprise me if she'd complained. The whole thing is just really weird but unfortunately, since my lease has expired and I'm just dealing with a landlord and not the law, my rights are somewhat limited. At this point, they could evict me with 30 days notice for no reason at all (I signed the new lease but they didn't) and if they can say that I'm not "keeping up" the property, it's that much better for them. I'm not really in a position to fight them either way, unfortunately. I'm not going to get rid of my garden, but I am trying to make sure it looks nice and the dying pumpkins were too much of a risk.

• terrybull
    12 years ago

one crazy neighbor, i have one of those but once i started giving her some tomatoes and cucs she had a complete turn around. she is still an old bag. sometimes people adopt problems and make more out of it then there is. to give them something to do at your expence.