Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why are my new watermelons turning black and going away??

Posted by rob043055 SO CAL (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 31, 10 at 11:26

I have 8 Sugarbaby watermelon vines, in 12" containers, about 8 ft long and wrapped around those wire cones for support. They are all producing lots of yellow flowers for over a month now, but as soon as the little watermelons form from the flowers, they turn black and disappear....all except for one which is growing well , the size of a butternut squash. What's up with the rest and how can I save my watermelons. (Next year I will use bigger containers)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why are my new watermelons turning black and going away??

It sounds to me like they may not have been pollinated. It's a big problem here so we try to hand pollinate as many of the melons , gourds and squash.

JoJo

o

Are watermelons hard to pollinate naturally? I see bees and other flying insects in the garden, although in truth I never see them on the watermelons....

After seeing your answer, I tried hand pollination....I took a very fine camel hair paintbrush and swirled it around in each flower, several times, about 15 flowers in all, several seconds in each flower, trying to gently force the camel hairs into the tightly packed stuff at the center of each bloom. I went from end to end, back and forth doing each flower twice. When finished the paintbrush was covered in yellow pollen. Am I doing it correctly, do you think?

o

Hi Rob,

I really don't know if watermelons are hard to polinate naturally.

by each flower, do you mean the male flower?

You need to take the pollen from the male and transfer it to the female (the one with the fruit)..

I've never used a brush..

I have always just picked the male flower, peeled back the petals very carfully, and taken it and tapped in in the center of the female, and sometimes, have had to rub it in the center to get the pollen off.

Last yr. we (me, my dad and a few friends) had trouble with never having both flowers available at the same time, and lost all our zuc. squash.

JoJo

o

Jo Jo, thank you very much for taking the time to answer my questions. You have been a big help!

I didn't know the difference between male and female flowers! now I know. But it seems strange that there are about 10 times as many males on my plants as females!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here