Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cherry Tomato Help, Please!

Posted by lilyluv 5a (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 15, 11 at 12:08

Container gardening for the first time this year...boy, have I learned a lot, but need your help on the tomatoes. The cherry tomatoes are growing in a large 25-30 gallon pot. I planted 3 plants in that pot, which I now know were 1-2 too many. Anyway, I started them in a Miracle Grow potting mix (I know, need one of Al's mixes, but was too late for this year by the time I read about them). I picked 8 of them last night that seemed red enough to pick. On the bottom of ALL of them are one large brown circle about the size of a dime. Not a hole like a bug or worm, just an ugly perfectly round brown circle about the size of a dime. So this morning I checked my still green tomatoes and they have them too. Yikes! Does anyone know what is going on here?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cherry Tomato Help, Please!

It's Blossom End Rot. Here's a link to more info...

Here is a link that might be useful: Tomato Forum FAQs

o

Thanks noinwi! That is it! I read the article, and I probably over-watered thus drained out the calcium. Now for the fix....Has anyone had good results with any of the treatments that are in the article or any other suggestions? This is what the article stated..
"Once the problem develops, quick fixes are difficult. Stabilize the moisture level as much as possible, feeding with manure or compost tea is recommended by many, foliar applications of calcium are of questionable value according to research because of poor absorption and movement to fruit where it is needed but many have reported that foliar application of magnesium (epsom salts) can effect added calcium uptake. Other various suggestions consist of powdered milk, crushed egg shells tea, bone meal tea, Tums tablets, etc. but prevention is the key. Some recommend removing affected fruit from to reduce stress in the plant."
Thanks!!

o

What fertilizer are you using?

Josh

o

Miracle Gro. the blue granule stuff that you put in the jar and hook up to the water hose. Is that bad?

o

hi! im basically in the same boat...what i decided to do was put about 5 cups of compost into each bucket. they say make the tea, but in the 5 or so days that takes, the plants roots will start taking up good stuff from the compost...is going well...

they say that usually just the first fruit is affected, and i find this to be true. throwing the bad ones is fun =)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here