Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trellising Natchez Blackberry

Posted by Buckeye85 none (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 9, 12 at 12:10

I potted a Natchez blackberry plant (a semi-erect variety, apparently) this season in Al's 5-1-1 mix not really expecting much - it was a bit sad-looking when I bought it (definitely an impulse buy - it was heavily discounted), and I was under the impression blackberries are hard to deal with, but it has really taken off, sprawling vigorously in three different directions.

It's in a 3 gallon container right now, and I have no idea how to trellis it in such a way that I'll be able to move it easily (we're doing the apartment thing) next year. Do I need to transplant it again into a larger container? Suggestions on the best trellis type?

I am relatively hopeless with this sort of thing - I have never trellised anything before, and my pruning skills are less than desirable.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trellising Natchez Blackberry

Where I live in Alabama, we have blackberries like yours growing wild like weeds on the sides of roads, on fences, in the woods etc. So I'm pretty sure they're a hardy plant, although I've never personally tried growing them because of their weed-like presence where I am.

Considering how huge I've seen them grow in the ground, I'd recommend putting it in a larger pot if possible.

As for trellising, since you're in an apartment, you may want to do something like cutting a tomato cage in half and placing that half in the pot with the plant, so the curve of the half-cage will fit with the pot and it'll be easy to move around. Then just direct the growth of your plant onto the half-cage.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here