Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I stop using glazed pots?

Posted by quiverws6 Massachusetts (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 2, 11 at 12:43

Hi all,
I have some bell peppers growing on my balcony. I started them from seed and they seem to be growing OK but the plant in the clay pot is double the size,greener and has more foliage than the one growing in a glazed pot. I water them the same but I'm wondering if glazed one is too saturated because the glazed pot isn't porous. Any tips on what I should do? I'm considering transplanting it into a clay pot as well

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I stop using glazed pots?

Good question, I'll be curious about others answers. Seems that as long as the drainage is good there shouldn't be a problem. Unless the glazed pot is different color, it could be a temperature thing. Funny.........I had the same thing with 2 pepper plants also.....one was doing much better and I can't figure out why.

o

i am personally not a fan of "glazed" pots. from what i have read/personal experience is that the glazed pot will retain more water as well as restrict the air flow. the unglazed pots help with "wicking" water and allowing the soil to breathe. i have a succulent in a glazed pot that i water every 14 days and the same sized succulent in the same sized unglazed pot i water every 7 days.

Eric

o

I prefer unglazed pots because there is a little less chance of overwatering. But glazed pots are no worse than plastic pots, and are usually more attractive than plastic. What really matters is the mix you use in the container. I have grown succulents in gritty mix and orchids in fir bark or sphagnum moss in glazed pots with no problems. I do water less in any pot that is impermeable.

o

I was thinking the same thing as Ohio.

I grow many plants in just about anything and I find that using a grittier mix or one that is porous allows room for this.

If you are using regular mixes or ones that take time to dry out, then I would be very cautious of how much water mine receive in plastic and non porous/glazed containers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here