Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Squash...

Posted by big_black_cat 7b (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 1, 11 at 12:48

My squash is blooming like crazy but isn't producing any squash. :( I have multiple containers of it but none of it will produce fruit. This is the first time I've had a container garden. What am I doing wrong?

I thought all was well when it started blooming but after weeks of blooms and no "fruit", I'm wondering.

I did threaten them that I was going to start plucking the blooms and deep fry them if they didn't start producing but that didn't help. ;)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Squash...

First of all, are you sure you have male and female flowers? The male will be just the flower, the female will have a tiny fruit under it.

If you do then they are not getting pollinated, and has nothing to do with growing in containers. You may have to hand pollinate them.

Sometimes squash and melons grow in spurts of just one sex of flower, I have no idea why and may look into it later today.

I haven't tried to deep fry them yet, lol.. but am planning on it.

Hubby tells me I better not try and feed him a flower. lol.

JoJo

o

Errrr..... How do you tell the sex of the flowers?

I've used the seeds from this pack (years ago - maybe that's the problem?) and got way more squash than any one person could need.

I do see bees going into the flowers so I thought they were getting pollinated. How do you do it by hand?

I'm a very new "container gardener" but did have some successful in the ground gardens in the past. That was all luck, though. I really didn't know what I was doing.

o

Google it.

o
Very helpful.

Thanks.

o

FWIW, I've been planting parthenocarpic varieties so I don't have to worry about pollination. The hardest part about hand pollinating is that you have to do it in the short time the flowers are open in the morning. It doesn't work with my going to work schedule.

o

Lack of pollination is a common problem with squash, especially early in the season, and a frequently asked question on the forums. Hand pollination is the same whether your plants are in the ground or in containers. Here is an older but very informative thread from the squash and pumpkin forum...hope it helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: hand pollination thread

o

The few times that I have grown yellow squash it seemed to take longer than I thought to get decent squash. The female flowers took forever, and then I had to fight through BER, then the decent squash came. Be patient.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here