Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
first year strawberries help!

Posted by frogfan88 none (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 13:04

i am very new to this so any help or suggestion are appreciated. i planted strawberries in a 3.5 gallon bucket very late winter/early spring. i bought them at lowes and they were about 6inches tall. since the temperatures were still dropping to the high 40s and low 50s i would place them in the garage during the night to protect against the cold and would return them in the morning to the sun and the temperatures would get into the mid 70's i did not do the tower bucket it is planted traditionally. i have trimmed off the runners when i see them begin to grow and i also plucked the first blooms. as of right now i have allot of blooms at least 20. i keep reading that i need to remove them. but i was wondering since i planted them early in the season and have allowed a few months to establish itself if i should let them grow. i am very eager to get some fresh strawberries!!!

also, i have another question!!! when i have looked up information about growing strawberries the images i see show very little leaves on the plants. my plant is plentiful with leaves. do i need to cut them back some?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: first year strawberries help!

• Posted by Drew51 5b/6a SE MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 19:34

Yes, you can let them grow into fruit now, and no leave the leaves alone.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here