Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
using siphon w a drip system?

Posted by mantorvillain z4bMN Dodge (willbeane2000@yahoo.com) on
Sun, Jul 1, 12 at 13:24

I have hozon siphon from years ago (paperwork long gone of course)and a cheep drip system. Would it work to put the siphon inline to pick up weak feeding solution? I seem to recall that siphons work best at full flow so am wondering if it would work with the reduced rate/pressure of the drip system. Anyone done this or have insights? I can easily keep mixing and watering manually but want to put in the drip system on timer for my brugs anyway.
thanks for any input.
will

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: using siphon w a drip system?

It probably won't have enough flow to work. That was my experience with those and drip irrigation. I used to use one with about 2000 feet to T-tape, and it had enough flow volume to pick up the fertilizer when the lines were filling, but once the system got up to pressure and was just dripping even that wasn't enough flow to make it siphon. My solution to that issue was to mix the concentrate really, really strong, and it would take up a fair amount, several gallons, and then dilute it out with a couple of hours of watering. But I wouldn't advise trying that on potted plants, I was doing this in a large vegetable garden on field soil.

o
RE: using siphon w a drip system?

The only place my hozon does not work is one garden where the header line is on the downhill end of the garden. Pushing the water uphill makes too much back pressure. The length of the row does not seem to matter. I can run eight 300' rows just fine on flat ground with the hozon. But four 125' rows will not siphon at all going up a gentle slope. fwiw, my EZ-Flow won't work worth a darn on that garden, either.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here