Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
More gypsum (aka calcium) for potted tomatoes?

Posted by gman68558 z10 So Cal (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 17, 08 at 13:27

Really getting into tomatoes, and it appears that calcium is particularly important to tomatoes based on the research that I've done so far.

Given this, would it be advisable to up the gypsum in the 5-1-1 mix? Maybe double it, or 1.5x? Or just keep it the same?

Obviously too late for this year, but I am getting hit with some BER so I'm just wondering if this might make a difference for next season.

Opinions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: More gypsum (aka calcium) for potted tomatoes?

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 17, 08 at 15:07

Generally the 5:1:1 mix has lime added, unless there is a specific reason you want to keep pH extra low, <5.0.

The BER may not be because of an actual Ca deficiency. An imbalance of P or Mg can create antagonistic deficiencies. High humidity levels, and soils that are either too wet or too dry also cause BER. In short, the plant needs a CONSTANT supply of Ca available during the formation of every cell or the cells will be weak/deformed. ANY disruption of the nutrient stream makes greater the probability of a culturally induced Ca deficiency and the accompanying BER.

Al

o

Al, I decided to go with gypsum and epsom salts instead of the lime since the pH of my irrigation water is in the low 8's. I thought I would be in danger of raising the pH too high by using lime. Was I mistaken?

o

Thu, Jul 17, 08 at 23:46

My water is in the low 8s too, and I don't seem to have much difficulty except a little with Fe absorption on some plants that assimilate it inefficiently, but I have found a way to easily correct that.

Certainly you can use the gypsum/Epsom salts combo to keep pH low, but it's prolly not really necessary.

Al

o

Gypsum [land plaster] will not change your PH. I use land plaster all the time. It worked for me.

o

Fri, Jul 18, 08 at 20:16

Thank you - we are aware of that, MP. That's why Gman elected to use it - to retain the natural pH of the soil - instead of liming, which would raise pH.

Al

o

I am concerned about the usage of gypsum, a raw earth material known to contain some lead for treatment of potted tomato blossom end rot. Is there USP grade (for medical use) gypsum available which should not have any lead?

o

Fri, Aug 1, 08 at 23:58

Garden soil is also a raw-earth material known to contain some lead. If you're that concerned, ask for reagent grade CaSO42(H2O) or hydrated calcium sulfate.

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here