Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
possible nutrient problem

Posted by weirdflowers 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 24, 12 at 13:45

Hi all-
This year, I tried a soil-less mix for my plants. I modified the 5-1-1 to 5 parts sifted pine bark, 1 part pine bark fines, 1.5 parts pea gravel, and I added dolomite to the mix. I water every three days or so with Miracle-Gro 24-8-16 with about 1/4 tsp to a gallon of tap water. Everything seemed to be going fine, but within the past couple of weeks I've started noticing problems.

This is an Amorphophallus konjac 'Gordon's Gold', a variety with an unusually light leaf. There's some blotchiness on the leaf, and a couple of the tips aren't looking so good.
Starflower

Amorphophallus myosuroides. The dead part of the leaf on the left turned dark and translucent before it shriveled up like that, and I've seen a little bit of that on some of my other plants as well.
Starflower

This last one is another konjac showing some of the blotchiness I mentioned above. I've noticed this on several other plants as well.
Starflower

So....I've looked at some resources on nutrient deficiency and my best guess is a manganese issue, but if anyone can help me out, I'd really appreciate it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: possible nutrient problem

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 24, 12 at 14:54

It may very well be a cultural issue linked to over-watering - that would be my guess, based on the pics. Try a wick and watch watering carefully?

Al

o
RE: possible nutrient problem

Try epsom salts. ;-0

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here