Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trees In A Planter Box

Posted by nullqwerty Massachusetts (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 30, 12 at 13:54

Hey folks,

On top of my stone patio, I'd like to put in a 5' x 5' planter box that's 3' tall and I'd like plant a tree in there. Something like a cherry tree or crab apple or japanese maple or pear tree, etc. Something that's bare trunk for the first 6'-8', and then branches out at the top. Hoping for something around 15'-20' tall with a 10'-15' diameter at the top.

What trees similar to what I described would grow well in a planter box in Massachusetts (bearing in mind it will be kept outside all winter)?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trees In A Planter Box

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 30, 12 at 16:57

Acer ginnala (amure maple) would be my first choice if you want a deciduous tree. It's extremely cold hardy (to Z3), which means it should be fine there w/o protection, responds well to pruning, and isn't too fussy.

Al

o

Looks like a really nice tree! I'm actually planting 2 trees in the same manner and think I might use that as one of them. Any others? Or of the ones I mentioned above, would they work well? Like, how about the Japanese Maple?

Thanks

o

I just Googled the amur maple, and it seems it's considered an invasive species in the North. Just wanted to mention it sooner rather than later, if it matters to anyone.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/invasives/terrestrialplants/woody/amurmaple.html

(Couldn't save this as a clickable link - for some reason GW doesn't recognize it.)

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 1, 12 at 22:43

N - because your tree will be unprotected, to avoid cold injury to roots it should be listed as hardy to at least 1 zone colder than yours, and 2 zones colder would be better. That's why I picked A ginnala - it's very hardy and an attractive tree that's easy to care for. I don't think you'll have much luck with the Japanese maples.

Some other very hardy deciduous trees that lend themselves well to shaping:

Celtis occidentalis (hackberry)
Crataegus (hawthorn - has thorns)
Malus (apple)
Ostrya (ironwood)
Prunus (cherry/plum)
Syringa reticulata (tree form lilac)
Tilia (linden)

Al

o

Awesome! Thank you!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here