Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spygrrl

Bulk Perlite Source in Chicago or Suburbs?

spygrrl
18 years ago

So far I've called 3 different nurseries, and all I can get is a little 8 qt bag for $ 4.99. When doing big batches of Al's mix, that can add up.

I found sources for bigger quantities on the web (see www.homeharvest.com or www.groworganic.com) but the shipping is $ 20 - $ 25 for a $ 14-15 big bag of perlite.

Has anyone found a source in or around Chicago that carries the big bags? Even though I'd prefer the Schundler brand (for their good reputation) at this point I'll take what I can get.

Thanks for your info,

M

Comments (5)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    18 years ago

Keep calling. You need a family type operation that does lots of their own growing. Tell them you are looking for three or 4 cu ft bags of perlite - coarse if they have it. If they don't have it, ask if they can order it for you. They all have wholesale suppliers that carry it, & if they tell you they can't order it, they're saying they won't be bothered with a single bag order. I now buy it wholesale when I'm in Grand Rapids, MI, or have my son bring it when he comes home to visit, but I have bought it at three different nursery/greenhouse operations within a mile of my home.

If you can't find it, call the Chicago Botanic Gardens. They'll be able to tell you where they get it. Ask for some one in purchasing.

If that doesn't work, let me know & I'll find it for you. ;o)

Al

Here is a link that might be useful: Try here for phone #'s

• bdev
    18 years ago

One good place for bulk perlite and vermiculite is at hydroponic supply stores. Many methods of hydroponics use perlite as the bed media, so they tend to have it in the 4 cu ft size bales. Also a good source for bulk, low salts coco coir.

Check around on the internet for Hydroponic shops in your area

• spygrrl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Woo hoo! I hit the jackpot.

Right after I posted (before Al had even responded) just for grins I did a search on ebay. I'd not even though of it before I posted.

Wouldn't ya know, there was a seller right here in Illinois selling the stuff in big bags at cost. First I though, oh, I'll just order from him. But then I noticed that the ebay seller works at the manufacturer. And I see that his location is in the suburbs of Chicago not far from me.

So I looked up the manufacturer on the net, and lucky me, they are about 25 miles away and will sell to the general public. Oddly, none of the nurseries near me carry it, and the sales rep said any garden center they sold to would be just as far to drive to as to their plant, so I may as well come in and pick it up there. He will have some nice employee load it into my car :)

So now I am getting it direct from the manufacturer tomorrow. Get this price: $ 9.50 + tax = $ 10.24 for 4 CUBIC FEET (about 120 dry quarts, or 30 dry gallons). That's enough for 6 big batches of Al's mix. (At the garden centers, the big markup is due to the excessive shipping cost - this stuff is lightweight yet bulky and requires special care to ship)

I'm so happy! My boyfriend thinks I'm insane, of course, and just rolls his eyes, but he is used to my obsessive-compulsive ways and is letting me be just as anal-retentive as I want to be about making Al's mixture exactly as written - and on the cheap! :)

Speaking of cheap...if you think I haven't factored in the cost of gas, I have. I have a dental appointment tomorrow and I have to go right by the plant as I toodle along on the expressway, so we're talking about 7 miles total to jump off, pick the stuff up, and get back to the expressway. Yes, I drive a bit for my dentist because I love him and refuse to switch to someone closer to me since I moved away.

The stuff is called Krum and is made by Silbrico. If you're not in Illinois and want the bulk bags, the ebayer (will come up on a search for perlite) sells it for practically cost - $ 10.95 + shipping. Also Silbrico will sell it for the $ 10.24 + UPS ship.

Now of course, I'm curious if it is in any way different than Schundlers, or if perlite is perlite is perlite. (Both brands available in different grades, including the coarse)

Al, thank you again for sharing your knowledge as usual and your very generous offer. I don't know how you have the time to keep up your gardens, answer emails and posts on GardenWeb AND offer to personally help people, but I'm glad you do and just want to say that you are wonderful!

M

Here is a link that might be useful: click me to see Krum, made by Silbrico

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    18 years ago

I've never noticed a difference between brands. Did I mention that coarse is best? I'm glad for you (that you got such a bargain). I think I paid $12 for the last bag ;o( & it was only 3 cu ft.

Al

• mea2214
    18 years ago

I get my perlite from the The Farmers Market on 45something north Elston but they're about $20 for 4 cubic foot bag. It usually lasts me 2 years. I'd be interested in where to get vermiculite. That nursery suggested that vermiculite was banned in Illinois and they stopped carrying it.