Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nguyenty

Al's Gritty Mix Guide, am I missing anything ?

nguyenty
13 years ago

I'm trying to make a guide for the gritty mix for my website and everyone here to use, am I missing any useful information ? I added some photos however the are not working.

AlâÂÂs gritty mix is a coarse potting mix that provides great drainage and great aeration. It is long thought through mix by Al from Gardenweb.com website. Many members of GardenWeb use it and it cannot be praised enough. By using 2 inorganic material and fine bark, the mix lasts very long before breaking down. The Gritty mix is recommended for any perennials plants or anything that will last more than one season. The ingredients for the gritty mix are 1 part Turface, 1 part Granite Grit, and 1 part Fine bark.

The ingredients are:

Turface (heated clay). It is used to hold water and nutrients. Look for size "Turface MVP". John Deere "Turface AllSport" is the same.

Granite grit. It holds no water or nutrient at all. It is used to provide better drainage and reduce water retention. For brand "Gran-I-Grit" use grower size. For other brands, the ideal size is 1/8".

Fine bark. It is used to hold water and nutrients. Use uncomposed "Fir" or "Pine" bark. Ideal size is 1/16" to 1/4".

Gypsum for CaSO4 source. Add 1 tbsp to every gallon. Epsom salt for MgSO4. Use 1/8 -1/4 tsp Epsom salts per gallon of fertilizer solution.

Adjusting the mix

This mix can be adjustable to your needs. For better water retention add more turface, less granite grit, and same amount of fine bark. EG. 4 part turface, 2 part granite grit, 2 part fine bark. For better drainage, aeration, and less water retention, you can use 4 part granite grit, 2 part turface, 2 part fine bark. I donâÂÂt recommend using too much granite grit, however, as you will have to water very often. The original 1:1:1 ratio already has much more aeration and drainage than any other potting mix out there.

Preparing the materials

It is recommended that all three ingredients be screened with a window insect screen (usually 1/16"). Fine bark should be screened with a 1/4 hardware cloth to get rid of the larger particles on top before screening the rest with the insect screen. It is also recommended that fine bark be left out to dry for easier shifting.

Windows screen over a 20 gallon rope tote - - - - - - - 1/4" hardware cloth on top of the windows screen

Final product (1:1:1 ratio)

Here is a link that might be useful: Al's Gritty Mix Guide

Comments (2)