If you need to use coconut coir in your container,

Posted by newgen 9 Central California (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 29, 11 at 14:21

I saw this at Home Depot today.
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: If you need to use coconut coir in your container,

I wouldn't use that in a container mix necessarily.

It says it's a mulch, and it's colored....which might present some issue.

Josh

o

Looks like a nice mulch product though, I will try it for mulch in my fall containers. Thanks newgen! LInda

o

newgen, coconut coir or coconut fiber is similar to pine needles and does not expand when wet. I'd say that it is water-proof.
I suspect that the advertised product contains other components.

o

I bought coconut coir as Mulch Bricks to mix into my veggie containers a few years back because they were cheap, I thought they might help with water retention, and I believed the hype about how coir was better to use than peat. The small brick did indeed expand to two cubic feet. But the chunks were 1 to 2 inches in diameter, and I don't believe they helped with drainage because my other soil components were so much smaller.

Also, I would be concerned about the fact that this stuff is "colored." unless the label says it's safe for use on veggies, I wouldn't use it on anything you're going to eat. I also understand that coir can contain a lot of salts.

Now I am using Al's 511 mix with pine bark fines. They are actually cheaper and have worked very well for me. Check the link if you want to know more.

Here is a link that might be useful: Container Soils -- Water movement and retention

o

Since coconut oil became a dietary No No, I suspect this industry took a hit. I think they are likely looking for new markets for coconut, can't fault them for that.Coir pots don't have the body to make good containers for me, cheap as they are.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here