Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Animals/Birds in Container Gardens

Posted by pink_warm_mama_1 Z4 Maine (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 22, 12 at 14:28

Although I have gardened for years, soon I shall have only a balcony on which to garden. I've already learned a lot on this forum, but wonder - would netting across pot tops keep chipmunks and squirrels from digging in the soil? Thanks for all help and suggestions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Animals/Birds in Container Gardens

I have never had a chipmunck or squirrel dig in my pots. I do have a small bird that decided to build a nest in my tall hibicus that is planted in a pot on my covered front porch. I have no landscaping as my house is new, but I guess since she could not find a tree at my house my hibiscus worked for her! LOL I don't mind because I can clearly see the nest when I look out my doors sidelight. Can't wait to see the babies !!

o

Well, the right kind of barrier will stop them. Probably not the flimsy "bird netting" or something like tulle/nylon net. Hardware cloth, however, will stop them cold, and it now comes in a plastic version that is both much cheaper and easier to work with, no sharp edges. I haven't tried it for this application, but it keeps the squirrels and chipmunks out of my poultry pens without issue, no attempts to go through it for the feed.

o

Yes, chipmunks, squirrels-they dig everywhere. In pots, in ground...I use hardware cloth on pots that I know they would love to munch on. They like tulip bulbs, I have done what I read (in garden beds): plant bulbs, cover within about 1/2-1" of top level with soil, then put piece of chicken wire over the area & finish with rest of soil. Squirrels won't be able to get to your bulbs. I have put a "dome" made of hardware cloth over some pots too.

Do you think they will (squirrels, chipmunks) get to your balcony?
I would not cover with net to keep birds away, I don't think they will harm your plants, they will pick some bugs off them. Unless you grow fruit, in that case I would put net over just as it starts ripening...
Rina

o

I was using those little peat pellets to start seeds in but for some reason they seemed to be irresistible to squirrels they dug up every plant that was started from one of those but left adjacent plants alone..go figure!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here