Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will Deer knock over containers?

Posted by bandie528 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 9, 13 at 14:45

I thought I'd solved my deer problem, and woke up to find tomatoes eaten and knocked over.

Before I take next steps: can I be sure it's deer?

I posted in tomato pests and haven't gotten replies yet.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tompests/msg0708330214991.html?2

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will Deer knock over containers?

I'm thinking more on the raccoon level.

o

Ed,

Thanks for the reply. You looked at the pictures? So I would be right that that space is too cramped for deer to go into huh?

What can I do to deter them? Gonna google.

You're great.

o

Yes, saw the pictures. Deer 'might' go down that narrow space, but they would probably just eat and leave. Raccoons are more brutish and would climb/pull on the cages and do damage. Not sure what to do to deter them, except fence the plants in. Would be nice to have a security camera to catch "whoever " in the act :-)

o

I can't really put up a fence cuz I'm renting. I could potentially move the plants, but the higher front porch already has my neighbors tomatoes and flowers on it, so I'd be taking over a bunch of his space.

Could I chicken wire or something the cages? Move them at night? There is a deck covered porch behind the area, but will they climb stairs to get there?

My mother suggesting hanging cans with coins from the tomato cages, to try to scare them, but I don't know if that would work or if It would be too late. Hmm. Can't win this year!

o

Okay, now neighbor said there's definitely a groundhog under the shed. Hmmph.

o

Deer frequently knock over my containers. When they take a bite they tear the foliage off often pulling the container over. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here