Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Semi-hydroponics?

Posted by chilliwin 7 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 13, 13 at 14:54

Should I change the water and add fertilizer! I did not plan to grow like this.

I was out of stock of containers so just I used two plastic baskets. One of them has a lot of holes, I used it for screening pine bark fine before. Now these two baskets are functioned like a type of self-watering system. The soil is well-drain so all the excess water remain to the second basket. The roots started to grow in the water without any damage. The plant is ildi Cherry Tomato this is my first time growing tomatoes. The strings are for "Florida Weave" :-) Thank you Teyo, it works so good.
ildi Cherry Tomato  13JL13B photo IMG_2788_zpse0af06a4.jpg

ildi Cherry Tomato  13JL13A photo IMG_2790_zps9b21d54b.jpg

Should I call it "Semi-hydroponics"! one plant but two types of roots one for the soil and another for the water :-).

Just I am sharing this experience with you and any advice to give the plants some benefit are welcome.

Caelian

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Semi-hydroponics?

Hi, Caelian,
I have SIPs (sub-irrigated planters), and have learned that the roots of whatever plants I have growing in them eventually reach the water reservoir, and grow just fine in the water. I have read that they are "water roots" and are healthy unless you let the water dry out, and then they die.

I didn't expect it, but I guess its normal. Attached photo shows my summer squash. Their roots are in the water too.

o

I wonder why sometimes messages post twice. I edited the copy to this wonderful gem of wisdom.

This post was edited by gjshawk on Sun, Jul 14, 13 at 19:45

o

Hi Gjshwawk,
Your summer squash look very healthy and nice. I won't allow to dry the water and would like to add some liquid fertilizer.

Thank you for sharing.
Caelian

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here