Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lemon Tree help

Posted by LivinTheHylife none (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 19, 13 at 15:22

Last year I purchased two seedling lemon trees, along with two seedling orange trees. The orange trees are flourishing very well. The lemon trees, on the other hand, had some issues. A few months back they started to grow thorns and lost their leaves. One of the trees lost all its leaves and died. The other, pictured here, made a recovery. However, I am concerned by the placement of its lower branches. These branches grew after its recovery and I am concerned that they may be too low (like "suckers"). Should I leave them be or are they just sapping energy from the main trunk?

Also, would it be possible to use rooting hormone on one of these branches in order to replace the tree that was lost?

Thanks for your advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lemon Tree help

Here's another picture (pardon the quality) showing the base of the tree.

o

Commercially, lemon tree seedlings, that is lemon trees started from seeds, are not usually sold. Seedlings intended for rootstock, may be available, sold with the intention of being grafted with the scion of a named variety. So where did you acquire your seedlings? Al

o

Thank you for the comment; I must correct myself: the trees weren't seedlings, but were rather grown from cuttings. A description of the seller (Larry's Orchids & Tropicals):

"This patio meyer lemon tree is from a cutting and has a well formed root system and is actively growing in a 3-inch pot in a peat/soil growing mix and is 6-8 inches tall. Upon arrival in your home, it will need to be repotted into a gallon container with drainage holes, using either cactus or well draining standard houseplant potting mix."

o

I don't see a problem with the low branching, unless you are planning on a lollipop shaped tree. Growing from cuttings you have no separate rootstock and these branches will produce the same fruit as the rest of the tree. Please let us know when your tree flowers and produces the first fruit. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here