Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
legend88ls

Yellowing of bottom leaves/light green shade

legend88ls
9 years ago

Got 2 questions: I have some cukes (one vine each in 5 gallon containers), they began very well dark green but since faded to lighter green and lower yellowing of leaves. See pics. It's hard to tell, but the cuke leaves on the left is quite darker than the right. They get lighter by the day. There are yellow specs on the leaves, more pronounced lower on the stem.

I have tomatoes in larger 18 gal (Watermelon beefsteak, Lg Italian plums). Those are also yellowing on lower leaves, some in middle.

Is this a deficiency?
Am I watering too much, too little? Using 1/4 in .5 gallon/ hr emitter irrigation system (cukes have 3 emitters each) with 25 PSI regulator and run for 15 min/ day. Soil seems moist but not wet. The tomatoes have 4-5 emitters per container.

Comments (4)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

How are you fertilizing?

Josh

• legend88ls
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi,

I am using 9-3-6 Foliage Pro 1 tsp per gallon 2x a week. I also mixed in Osmocote and worm castings to upper inch of soil.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

That sounds like a great regimen. In that case, can your plants handle a slight reduction in water? Give it a try, and see how they respond.

Cucumbers, I've found, will always have yellowing lower leaves...once the plants start getting big.

Josh

• legend88ls
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just a follow up -- Cucumber leaves continue to get universally lighter, added more photos in hope of further diagnosis and corrective action. See ones in pots behind these, they are in separate containers (all off the ground on skids), same size. Notice they are still dark green. The cucumbers look ok, there are too many growing!