Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lukewarmtofu

croton droopy right before gritty mix

lukewarmtofu
10 years ago

I've finally sourced all materials for Al's gritty mix. But now my croton is drooping, and I'm hesitant to repot it because of too much shock.

Background: plant is in los Angeles by a window facing south. We only have north or south facing windows. Over July 4th weekend we were out of town for a few days and when I returned the plant was drooping. The soil was bone dry, I used a chop stick to check the bottom soil. So I watered (tap water) using the flood method till I saw some water escaping the drain hole. I then tilted the pot to remove as much perched water as I could. After that I used a qtip in the drain hole to wick/remove more perched water. Its in miracle grow potting soil. No addition fertilizer used.

This was a few days ago. The photo shows the bottom branches starting to perk back up. But the rest of the plant is still drooping. There's only been 2 leaves that dropped and I'd like to save the rest.

Other miscellaneous info; this window has a fan blowing in for circulation. Though that didn't seem to effect it before. Window a/c runs in other bedroom to cool the whole unit. Heat wave hit us the 4th and has been oscillating since. Window is usually open for air flow.

What can I do to help my croton bounce back? Obviously right now is not ideal time to repot, but once the croton gets better and specific tips to help mitigate shock; other than keeping roots wet, out of direct light for a couple weeks, and no dyna-grow fertilizer?

Thank you in advance. I'm excited to become a better caregiver for my plants!

- Tofu