Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

I can't believe my neighbor did this! Dead fish

meyermike_1micha
14 years ago

The other day,I was watching my neighbor put some, I would say 10-20 gallon containerized plants together....

He was putting, ready??? DEAD FISH that he had caught at the lake, at the bottom of each one..Claims by the time the roots grow and reach these fish, they will get all the nutrition they need for phenomenal growth.

He even threw lobster shells all over the surface of them...Sheesh

My father was right there loving his idea...Wanted to dig into mine and do me the honors of feeding my plants too..I said never! Not while I am looking, nor while I am gone as a suprise..

I can tell you this, boy does his yard stink still....Sheesh

Comments (17)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    14 years ago

You could always make homemade fish emulsion (read it all) like Bonheur did.

Al

• medcave
    14 years ago

Jeeze... the Pilgrims learned that trick from the Indians nearly 400 years ago. Don't they teach this stuff in school anymore? ;)

• vrkelley
    14 years ago

When we tried this the 'coons came and dug' em up. Guess, they have to get buried deeper.

• ania_ca
    14 years ago

Good idea in the garden, probably a very bad idea in containers. Most of my containers are 10-20 gal and I couldn't immagine letting fish rot in there.

Ania

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yuk.....I found a fish head in my driveway!!
    :-( and one of my neighbor's containers is completely ripped apart. The poor guy...

• filix
    14 years ago

And I thought I had difficult neighbors!

• yellowthumb
    14 years ago

You think you have hard neighbors, what about having the oversized AC running all the time since June, even in this icy cold summer. Most of the time, this AC is the only one running in this quiet neighborhood, it's embarrassing the least.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    14 years ago

Fish in containers....that sounds like a nasty, messy proposition. Yuck is right.
    On the other hand - as noted - fish in the garden is just fine! I have a neighbor who
    would give me his surplus trout; invariably, a few would go bad in the freezer, so I'd
    plant them around the yard. I can't remember how many other "fertilizers" I've buried
    in the garden. Cats, rats, gophers, moles, mice, rabbits, squirrels, ducks, owls, 'possums,
    raccoons.....

Josh

• prehnrex
    14 years ago

i fish all the time and all my fish scraps get buried all around my yard whether its the lawn,palm trees,fruit tree or crepe myrlte the best way to bury them is with a post hole digger never had any problems with farmints since i started using a post hole digger.

• cebury
    14 years ago

We (my parents) use to do this with entire catfish (cut open to "spew" into the earth) and with the cleaned carcass of other fish we'd catch in the Canal waters in our San Joaquin Valley. Nobody wanted to eat nor knew how to clean the catfish.

Anyway, how does one dig into the ground (esp. with post-hole diggers) without tearing out a mess of roots nearest the tree you want to fertilize?

• flyingfish2
    14 years ago

You only dig at the drip line on trees, not sure how close to put to roots in gardens.

I've got to try it with post hole diggers and my coons that are let's say got removed from my mango trees.

bernie

• prehnrex
    14 years ago

went crabbing yesterday and got 40 blue crab after cleaning
    all of them put all the shells around my pindo palm which is really doing well lota of fruit buried with post hole digger on the drip line of limbs no problem with farmints
    the pindo loves it.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hello.....

I have no problem with throwing anything that rots into the ground!!!
    I have buried my dogs,parakeets, cats, mice, fish, lobsters, and my worst enemy,and so on near my plants...Any plant living near these things that I have buried, seem to do GREAT..I buried at least 20 pounds of fish next to a dying red bud tree 2 years ago, and that thing came back with a vengance! We know for sure the ground is the place to be for these things...

But in containers???? Thats my point..

I just thought that burying these things in CONTAINERS only invites trouble and a whole bunch of maggots, and does nothing for a potted plant...In fact, maggots is what I saw crawling over the top of some of his containers, falling over the edge with tons of birds having a field day on a hot day last week...

Funny thing is though, the ones that have not been dug through by varmits, are doing quite well anyways or yet still....lol

My backyard STILL reeks like a whole lot of dead fish by the sea. It masks out the sweet smells from all my sweet lilies and anything else that use to make my backyard smell so nice.
    I hope this smell goes away fast, or I will send out the cats in my local pet shelter to have a field day..Those poor poor things cooped up all day in those small cages the next block from me......I can hear them houl all night sometimes,..;-( :-(

• yellowthumb
    14 years ago

Hi Mike,

Yes, I understand what you mean. Once in a while I will foliar feed my gardenia with Fish Emulsion. Then my wife picked up a gardenia flower right after my application. She just kept smelling that flower and looked very puzzled.

I smelled that flower too, it's kind of weird feeling. It's like eating grounded stale goat cheese and strawberry jam.

• majika123
    9 years ago

Lucky you, your neighbor did just that. Our bad neighbor threw fish head on our yard meant either to poison our dog or to stink our yard. He threw it over his fence while it's dark outside, but caught him on our CCTV!! Now, what do you do with a neighbor like that?

• greenman62
    9 years ago

there is an article about Chitin and plants
    Chitin is the shell around lobsters and crabs.
    it is also the main ingredient in insect frass.

it is a great amendment.
    the plants see the molecule, and it increases the immune response.
    the study done, showed overal plant health increased.

i bought some crab shell (crushed)
    and use that as a fertilizer.
    so,, it acts as a double purpose.

its pretty cheap to buy too, cheaper than fish.