Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mold on potted mints

Posted by balconygirl 6a (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 29, 13 at 16:24

Each time I've planted mints over the years on my balcony (new pots, new soil) they've ended up getting mold spots. SO this year, I planted two pots, placed them far away from each other, and tried to ensure good space and air circulation. I've tried to keep them on the drier side, but when the leaves droop, about every 3-4 days, I water. But ... they are still getting mold spots!

My balcony catches quite a bit of wind, and has direct eastern exposure. I use the mint regularly. I pinch off any spotted leaf as soon as I spot it, and try not to infect the rest of the plant with the hand that took off the mint.

What can I do?
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mold on potted mints

balconygirl, try to identify the causative organism. Maybe Canada has an equivalent to the US Extension Service which is our resource for solutions to this kind of problem.
Find out if it is soil-, water- or air-borne.
When that is known, you might be able to manipulate the environment or change the 'care and feeding' program for your mint plant in order to make life difficult for the pest.
This might sound complex or complicated but once you start, you will find that the process is simple and straightforward.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here