Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any issues planting in copper pots?

Posted by garden_dogs CA (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 3, 06 at 16:25

I have some old copper containers I want to use for planting. Are there any plants that would not be happy in a copper container?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any issues planting in copper pots?

Hmmm... that's interesting. Were they made for being planted in?

Copper is one of the necessary plant nutrients, but it is toxic beyond small amounts.

The only concern I would have is too much leeching into the moist soil, but I have no idea how big a risk that actually is.

o

hmmmm. I wonder about this. Copper is used as an application to the inside of nursery containers (woody ornamentals...big sizes) to encourage the healthful growth of roots inside those containers. It does so by killing the fine roots that touch the copper, thus forcing the plant to grow more fine roots towards the inside.

I don't think I would use copper containers......(though have used copper marine paint to control root development).

I think I would plant into containers that fit INTO your copper planers. Copper will kill roots.

o

I think as long as you don't intend to eat what you plant in there and the soil isn't acidic (that is a trigger for leaching), it should be okay. The downside is that copper is a good heat conductor and also oxidizes very readily (the "verdigris" or green/bluish patina that copper can form, along with other oxides that can cause the copper to brown or form white crystals), but these copper compounds can eventually flake off after awhile and you eventually lose pieces of the container...lol

In excess, copper (like aluminum, etc), can become too readily available in toxic quantities in an acidic environment. If you can't control the pH, what you can do is use the copper container as a decorative one and plant in a plastic container that is sunk in the copper one (or line the copper container with plastic and fill with soil - making sure there are drain holes in both).

o

Here's a trick I use. Spray the inside surface with a couple coats of automotive undercoating. It seals the surface to prevent leaching and corrosion. Plant away!

o

Again, you can purchase copper lined containers, copper treated burlap, copper treated root barriers, copper lined grow bags, etc. All are used in the nursery industry because copper kills the fine roots. I don't think it's something you want in a permanent planter. So use our collective suggestions (liner, plastic, coating) just to be safe.

o

Thanks everybody, I think the automotive sealer is probably the route I will take. They weren't originally planters but I like the idea of using them as planters.

So I'll drill some drainage holes and seal up the inside with the automotive stuff. Obviously I won't use these planters for food crops, just ornamental plants.

Thanks so much. :)

o

I have used copper pots but have lined them (just a black bin liner) and they look great, I like the look as it discolors, don't forget copper repels slugs and snails so great for Hostas etc that attract these pests ;-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here