What better way to say 'HI' ......

...... than to say it with flowers?

{{gwi:3264}}

Al

Comments (154)

• drudadunat
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Jodik, your post made me homesick ... I was born and raised in Chicago but have lived in Florida since 1983. I still miss it. Your description of Lake Shore Drive was spot on. I remember reading that the fountain was undergoing renovations ... how great that you saw it functioning!

Darlene

• jodik_gw
    13 years ago

Hi, Darlene! Yes, we're fortunate to get to drive up and down LSD every few months, and that means seeing the city in all its seasonal glory! Right now, the trees are colored for fall, there are mums planted in window boxes and along buildings, the lake and harbors are emptying of all the boats, and they finally got the fountain working! It's been empty all summer.

You'd love what they've done to the median on Lake Shore Drive... it's planted with Rosa Rugosa Alba, and I think Rubra, too! There are areas with Daylilies, ornamental grasses, and a few other perennials. It's just gorgeous in spring and summer! And you can smell the roses if you roll down the car windows! I promise to take my camera with next trip up.

You know... I always say that I'd love to move south or west, somewhere warm... but I think I'd miss the seasons. Illinois has such defined seasons, and there is so much open space! I've been to Florida many times... but I always come home to Illinois! :-)

I replaced the memory card in my camera, and went out this morning to shoot a few new pictures...

Teddy Bear, a miniature...
    {{gwi:43130}}

The lovely yellow of Knockout Sunshine...
    {{gwi:43131}}

The bright orange red of one I can't name...
    {{gwi:1569}}

The fall colors of Crepe Myrtle...
    {{gwi:43132}}

Another variety of Crepe Myrtle...
    {{gwi:43134}}

The bright red berries and blooms of Honeysuckle...
    {{gwi:43135}}

There are so many hips on the Albas and Rubras, it looks like a tomato patch!
    {{gwi:43136}}

A closeup of Rainbow Knockout... look at those colors!
    {{gwi:1568}}

Red and pink Knockout in the front bed...
    {{gwi:43139}}

A better shot of the red Knockout...
    {{gwi:43140}}

Autumn Sunset planted under a young Lilac...
    {{gwi:43141}}

The canes of New Dawn creeping past a small yellow Daylily...
    {{gwi:43142}}

A red miniature next to climbing Forsythia, creeping around the bird bath...
    {{gwi:43143}}

What a great flea market find! The birdhouse matches the shepherd's hook perfectly!
    {{gwi:43144}}

A Canadian climber...
    {{gwi:43145}}

A large red bud on a plant in the new bed...
    {{gwi:43146}}

I believe this is Wild Blue Yonder...
    {{gwi:43147}}

And finally, one more shot of the gorgeous red Crepe Myrtle, with Walker's Low Catmint next to it...
    {{gwi:43148}}

I hope you all enjoyed today's photos! I enjoyed walking the gardens to take them and I always enjoy sharing them!

Happy Gardening!

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

Wow, Jodi! You bet I enjoyed those photos!
    You're getting some great fall color on your Myrtles! ;)

I happened to encounter this little fellow today, and I thought of Al...so this is for you, Al!
    Look at how the frog's colors match the grass and the oak leaves perfectly....

{{gwi:43149}}

And, Mike, this moss is for you, buddy! ;)
    I was hiking in the mountains early this morning, and I passed this spot in an alder thicket.
    Lots of mossy stumps and rocks, bracken fern, incense cedar, and horsetail rush everywhere....

{{gwi:43150}}

• haxuan
    13 years ago

'Morning from Dalat, Vietnam.

Jodi, it's always a pleasure seeing all the gorgeous plants/blooms of your garden.

Here're a few shots from mine.

{{gwi:43151}}

{{gwi:43152}}

{{gwi:43153}}

{{gwi:43154}}

Thanks for looking at my photos.

Xuan

• jodik_gw
    13 years ago

Is that a little tree frog, Josh? We have those everywhere. I find them crawling around in the kennel all the time, and I have to be careful not to hose them down the drain! I love the mossy/horsetail picture, too... I recently took a picture of some interesting fungi growing on a tree, but I can't find it, now. That's the sort of stuff that draws my interest, too!

Xuan, lovely Cosmos... and I'm not sure what the blue flower is, but it's very pretty! The mountains in the background are gorgeous, and the birdhouse and bath are really cool! I love adding those kinds of things to garden-scapes!

Great photos... thanks for sharing! :-)

• drudadunat
    13 years ago

Those medians in Chicago sound wonderful! I'd love to see them some time but not sure when I can afford a trip there. Last time I went was in March of 03 and of course nothing was blooming then and the fountain was still off. One of my favorite memories is walking through the rose gardens in Grant Park. Sigh. :-)

Darlene

PS -- your pictures today are gorgeous!

• jodik_gw
    13 years ago

Don't worry, Darlene... I'll get new photos taken as the seasons pass... you'll be able to see the medians on LSD, the fountain, the lake, the skyline, and all the other scenes of note in Chicago. We go up about every three months, and I usually am prepared with camera in hand!

I do have some older pictures in my PhotoBucket albums... I'll see if I can locate them. My online albums are a jumbled mess of thousands of photos! Give me a day or two...

In the meantime, have a good one! :-)

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Well, I posted a whole post lastnight that took me about 10 minutes to write and now it's all gone..

Jodik, Beautiful ROSES!!! And thank you

Josh, Thank you for those picture gifts and if you post the Avacado tree, that will top it off..Beautiful!

Xuan, YOu amaze me with such a beautious area and gorgoeus plants..Looks like your goldfish plant made a friend and seems very happy..

Drudad, you are right, Jodiks pictures are amazing!

Nite everyone...

Al, have you ever known anyone to grow plants in a THIMBAL? I just met a women that does..Crazy...YOur little ones are so nice...Love them..

Mike

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    Original Author
    13 years ago

No, Mike. Never known anyone that grew a plant in a thimble, but I have seen lots of bonsai and bonsai companion plants in thimble-size pots.

Al

• jodik_gw
    13 years ago

I realize this thread takes a while to load for some, but I didn't know where else to put these... it's November, and the gardens are winding down in anticipation of winter. The temperatures are dropping, and it's getting a little cold at night, now.

The roses are still opening buds, in spite of the cooler weather... and I'm rushing to get the last of the potted specimens in the ground before we get some really cold weather!

This is the really long rose bed that will contain a back row of climbers against the fence, and a front row of shrub and other types...
    {{gwi:43155}}

This arch, made from a piece of pig panel fencing, will hold the beautiful Cecile Brunner... and you can also see the sod tool I've been using to remove the sod for the beds.
    {{gwi:43156}}

Fall is quickly giving way to winter, but the Knockouts are still going strong, providing plenty of color!
    {{gwi:43157}}

The yellow of a Sunshine Knockout...
    {{gwi:43158}}

Quadra's last bloom...
    {{gwi:43159}}

Climbing White Iceberg...
    {{gwi:43160}}

Quietness... a beautiful Buck...
    {{gwi:1567}}

My little companion, Maia...
    {{gwi:43161}}

Some orchids I just repotted... wrong season, I know, but I had no choice.
    {{gwi:11311}}

And finally, a double Knockout with the empty raised vegetable beds in the background, ready to sleep the winter away.
    {{gwi:43162}}

Oh, ok... one more... I don't know the name, but I hope the buds open before winter hits!
    {{gwi:43163}}

Here's hoping everyone is having a nice day! Happy Gardening to All!

13 years ago

Hey, Jodi!
    Lovely pics of the gardens as they're winding down for the long winter's sleep!
    Yes, the Thread is beginning to take a while to load, but it sure is worth it!

I thought I'd repost an Avocado pic (a la Mike's request), as well as some front yard Fall color:

{{gwi:43164}}

{{gwi:43165}}

• jodik_gw
    13 years ago

Nice, Josh! Beautiful Avacado... I haven't had much luck getting one to start lately. Many years ago, I had a really nice one started... but I killed it through lack of knowledge. It got all leggy and stretched, and it eventually died. One of these days, I'll give it another try... it was a fun project.

Lovely fall color, too... the color and the smell of fall in the air from the fallen leaves and such... those are my favorite parts of the season. What I don't like is that a frigid winter follows!

Great pictures!

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Goodness..It took me ten minutes to find this thread..I thought it disappeared everyone.!!

Jodik..I bought and saved my first avocado seed!!! Finally, and now I can not find it...I think someone threw it out..:-(
    Time for another..lol,,Maybe we can start one together and with Josh's help, finally get one to grow...Quietness is bEAUTIFUL..I bet it's very fragrant too? I love very fragrant and tough to kill...
    Don't you just love Josh's area and plants?

Josh..Thank you for filling my request..I love that plants along with your Moro and all the jades most of all....Are they all indoors now?
    Now I see you are going to a Manderine festival? Wow..You, you could be so lucky..

Al, I am sending someone over here to see your frogs..A good friend of mine,,I wanted her to meet you all...She herself has a frog too..lol
    Hope you are well..

I hope everyone here is well and prepared for the winter..Let's hope it is good to us this year and short..:-)

Mike

Original Author
    13 years ago

Did he used to be a prince? ;-)

Al

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

hahhaahhahahahaa

We shall see...lol

• jamiedolan
    13 years ago

I wish people would stop by my house and comment on my Bonsai. I put out several trees on Halloween, I thought someone would at least comment about them. No one said anything though.

{{gwi:43166}}

Jamie

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    13 years ago

Hello Everyone...

What a great post!!! I will definately have to Pop some popcorn and come back to reread this amazing post!!!

Does it get any better than this?

I am so impressed with all of the pictures posted...truly one of the best threads that I have ever been privey too!

Mike, thank you for sending me over to say hi to Al!!!

Hi Al!!! I had posted a picture for Mike and his mom..he thought you would like to see my frog...so here it is!!!

Thank you for sharing your wonderful garden...like I said, I am going to have to revisit this post and really enjoy all of the true beauty here...Bravo to you all....

I couldn't help feeling for you and your beloved dog...there is noone more loyal than your best friend...He will always be with you, in the yard...by the computer...and watching you prune in the driveway...I will include my best friend... you have magical hands...

Laura in VB

{{gwi:6492}}
    My best friend!!!
    {{gwi:43167}}
    My other best friend!!!
    {{gwi:6505}}

• haxuan
    13 years ago

Jamie: your bonsais looked great but I adore your dogs! I love those... they looked so cute cute cute.
    Thanks for sharing the photo.

Xuan

• jodik_gw
    13 years ago

Good Morning, Everyone!

Wonderful photos! I love the dogs, Jamie and Laura! And I can't imagine why no one mentioned your bonsai, Jamie... they're lovely! I'm a huge fan of Adenium, too... anything with a bulb or caudex draws my attention!

This thread is a long load, but well worth the wait! The photos it contains are fantastic! And in that spirit, I'd like to add one more set... the final phase of the gardens before winter hits, and everything settles in to sleep until the arrival of next spring...

This is the arch, now planted with Cecille Brunner roses and Hyacinth bulbs...
    {{gwi:43168}}

Here's the long garden, all planted with various roses and spring blooming bulbs...
    {{gwi:43170}}

Another pergola area, roses planted... this one has Dutch Iris and Crocus, and Daffodils, too...
    {{gwi:43172}}

This area contains Austin English roses...
    {{gwi:43174}}

Compare the Therese Bugnet rose in the background to the Rainbow Knockout in the foreground...
    {{gwi:43176}}

In spite of the fall weather, the frosts at night and the cooler air, some of the roses continue to bloom... you can see a little bit of frost burn on some...
    {{gwi:43178}}

{{gwi:43180}}

{{gwi:43182}}

{{gwi:43184}}

This little red mini just won't quit!
    {{gwi:43186}}

{{gwi:43188}}

It's hard to believe snow will arrive soon... I long for spring already!

13 years ago

Howdy! Hello to Laura and Jamie!
    And hello to JoJo, Al, Jodi, Mike, Xuan, and anyone else I'm missing! ;)

Mike, you're quite welcome for the pics! Most of the leaves have fallen now,
    but there are a few Liquidambars that are just now transitioning in color.
    I hope you find an Avocado pit soon ;) Garden gremlins are stealing your stuff...!
    My Jades are indoors now, but I put them outside during the day (for a few hours at least).

Jodi, the new beds look great. I can't wait to see them brimming with color next Spring.
    An Alaskan storm system is going to be blowing down on us this week, with snow forecasted for
    Saturday at elevations between 2000 and 3000 feet. I can't wait!

Josh

• jamiedolan
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone.

It is very hard to imagine that snow is going to be here so soon. I have to put the finishing touches on my new plant storage room in my garage - for overwintering my container plants, Japanese Maples and Bonsai.

Jamie

• jodik_gw
    13 years ago

The inner yard, where the dogs run, is filled with huge yellow and orange fallen Sycamore leaves from the two giants that flank the house... most everything else has dropped leaves, and except for a few errant roses that are clinging to their green, everything is getting ready to rest for the winter season.

If you get snow, Josh, then we can't be too far behind. The storms will roll down out of the Rockies, make their way across the plain states, and as soon as Iowa reports snow, we're next! I'm hoping for a nice blanket to protect the newly planted roses.

I've actually still got a few bulbs to put in... some small packages of Crocus, Tulips, and odds and ends that were in the sale bin. As long as I can work the soil, though, I can plant bulbs. A few years ago, I was still planting bulbs in December... there was a crust of frozen ground, but I was able to get them all in. They grew and bloomed beautifully the following spring.

I've enjoyed this thread very much... we should begin another with the next set of photos to be posted... this one is beginning to take a while to load! It's always nice to see the seasonal changes our yards and gardens go through... the plants we all love... and our furry little companions... yes, I've enjoyed it very much! :-)

I'll have to remember to buy an Avacado next grocery shopping trip... I'm willing to give it another try!

• jojosplants
    13 years ago

Hi Everyone,
    I've enjoyed all the new pictures that have been added!
    Here's a few of my summer visitors. you can't have a garden without bugs and critters. lol!

I just got these humming bird pictures this morning.
    {{gwi:43190}}

{{gwi:25025}}

I've had a pair of finches in my yard for 3 yrs now. This is the male. They love the basil seeds.

{{gwi:43191}}

This guy hung out on my screen door all day! And gave me mean looks everytime I went out the door. lol

{{gwi:43192}}

Here's another one. The big green ones are mean. lol'

{{gwi:43193}}

This was recent. He was gathering the Palo Verde beans. :)

{{gwi:43194}}

My son wasn't too crazy about this grass hopper. That's my hand it's on. LOL!

{{gwi:43195}}

{{gwi:43196}}

And a few of our toads. :)

{{gwi:43197}}

And this one, my son raised from a tadpole. :)

{{gwi:43198}}

A grey ladybug

{{gwi:43199}}

{{gwi:43200}}

A gardners best friend. ;)

{{gwi:43201}}

JoJo

13 years ago

JoJo! Those are some great nature shots!
    How did you get the hummer's to hold still...I've tried and failed many a time!
    The Mantis are mean out this way, too.

Well, we had a few snow flurries on Saturday night.
    My friends, up at 2300 feet elevation had a few inches of snow.
    Currently, about 20,000 people are without power in Grass Valley (25 minutes up the road).

Cold wind's a'blowin'!

Josh

• kevin_mcl
    13 years ago

My pal Max is a keen gardener - since he always wants to stick his nose into anything I am doing around the garden.

He has also spent nearly ten years trying to catch a goldfish - and failed.

{{gwi:43202}}

{{gwi:43203}}

{{gwi:43204}}

• jojosplants
    13 years ago

Hi Josh!
    Thank you! :)
    Honestly, that is one of my tammer hummers. I have 3 that hang around the yard all the time, even while i'm right there working. He was easier to photograph than them darn ladybugs. lol!
    I got on my knee's to be at his level and crawled a little through gravel to get a good shot. So my knee's are a little bruised. LOL!
    I love how they turned out. And he was sure enjoying that flower!! It's part of the salvia family I belive, and the blooms are like velvet!

I'm glad I'm not the only one with mean Mantis! lol! They can be stinkers. :)

Snow! Gosh, no thank you! Were still in the 60's, down to 59 for a high on Thanksgiving.
    Possibly the first freeze then too.
    Stay warm, and keep the plants warm! ;)

Kevin,
    Your yard is beautiful! I would love to have a pond someday. :)
    Bless Max's heart for not giving up. :) How cute! Great pictures, thanks for joining us and posting them.

My little monsters would probably eat the garden, so I keep it all in the front yard. ;)

A big "Hello" to everyone. :)

JoJo

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

I don't even know where to start..lol

Kevin: AMAZING!!!! That dog of yours gives me incentive to keep going even if things are tough..Thank him for his consistent effort..lol
    You have a beautiful yard and it is a pleasure to meet you here..So happy you joined in..Thank you and send a hello to your plant friends in Ireland, will you?
    I have always wanted a pond and I will have one some day...That goldfish has the best of luck I tell you..lol

Al, where in the world are you????????????????????????????????????????

Josh: Hello my friend! What a bummer to see our jades revert back to green again, ha? :-((( I can't wait till the sun starts to rise higher in the sky come December 21.Do you think you will have a cold awful winter, or us here in the east? It is always either the west or east and as it seems to appear, the west has won out in the cold department this far...We are almost 70 tomorrow..lol
    I can't believe how cold it is there already..Correct me if I am wrong, but is it worst than last year? By the way, if I ever see a Mantis here, I will know if they are mean since they seem so gentle..

Jojo: My dear Jojo: I never saw such insects and frogs anywhere here..I can't believe all the huge bugs and frogs you have..I haven't even seen so much as a toad this year..You have the perfect bug to eat all the bad insects on your plants..I released hundreds of praying mantis a year ago and haven't seen a one since..:-((..Heck, I have not even seen a lady bug..lol
    Not only do you have insects and bugs that are quite different than mine, but they ae actually nice looking..Look at the humming bird..I remember having one fly right into the blossoms of my citrus trees..I was shocked..
    Jojo, your worms even look lighter than mines..lol
    You have been taking some of the nicest pictures that I have ever seen..It seems like you are getting use to your camera..Oh how I appreciate so much the pictures as I do as everyone else's here! Thank you

Jodik: I love this thread too! I can't believe that you are getting an avocado! Me too..I have a couple ripening as we speak..I would love to dig the one up in Josh's yard he found the other day..It would save me a whole lot of time..lol..It is so beautiful..A surprise for him it was..
    Don't you just love the thought of snow being that close to you? Right..I saw it was only -5 degrees already in Montana and that is not a good thing..
    I can't wait to see your roses start budding again come the spring..Hey, at least if we can't enjoy some of our favorite plants all winter, we still have our fury little friends...lol

Xuan: Hi...How are you? I have been drooling over all your pictures too...Fantastic...Thank you..

If I missed anyone, I am sorry..

By the way..I MISS YOU PUG!

Mike

13 years ago

Hey, Mike!

We're looking at a forecast low of 22°F coming in a few days. First rain, then a clear cold freeze!
    Last year, we got 9 inches of snow in the first week of December...and I froze two of my Jades......

I'm not sure if this year will be worse than last. It's been pretty nice so far.
    Here's a quick pic from the back yard. See that creek flowin'!
    The tree's a liquidambar (Xuan has one, too):

{{gwi:43205}}

Josh

• jojosplants
    13 years ago

Hi Everyone!
    Mike,
    Yes, getting a little more used to the camera. Macro is still a little tricky, but that may be my bad eyes, and not the camera. LOL! Also can't have any wind or movement with macro setting. lol.

I enjoy most of our critters and bugs here. ;) I don't blame my son for not wanting to hold the big grasshopper, he was tickeling my hand !!

I plant my yard to attact as much of the good as i can.

That worm pic was taken in Feb/March, he was cold and not happy about being dug up. LOL!
    I'm still a big kid at heart, and love all the little treasures I find in the garden! Still stomp in mud puddles too. ;)

Josh,
    The colors of that tree are AWSOME! But I know it also means cold. lol.. So I enjoy or drab trees. hehe.

Look at this mess! LOL!

{{gwi:43206}}

I'll be back soon with some flowers. :)
    Happy and Safe Thanksgiving to you all!
    JoJo

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Jojo:

Wow! It only took 15 seconds for this page to download today..lol

Some of the CUTEST pups we have ever seen Jojo..That coming from my family. Now my Mom wants you to send her one..I don't think so..Not on a plane all by him or herself..lol
    You certainly must have your hands FULL with everything going on around there, and now computer problems..Sheesh.
    I know you probably won't even be able to see this thread until things are fixed, but it will be here waiting for you when you finally do..:-)
    I would be great if your net was working as good as your camera..

Josh: Yes..Fantastic colors and always a nice view from anywhere you take a picture..Your area looks so peaceful and inviting! What a beautiful maple! It looks very happy to be surrounded by peace...Did it really get that cold already? Funny thing..It has not been very cold here just yet..Now they are talking 50's next week! My pop up greenhouse is still luckily going..I am greateful this year since last it snowed and the ground was solid frozen by now.I did not even have a chance to rake winter came so fast..
    I hope that the very west, being you, and the very east being us get's spared the frigid weather this time around..Something about the El'Nino is suppose to dictate what we get..Your Moro and a few others, Jades?, should do fine in your pop up which was a great idea..

Have a great day everyone...

Mike

• jodik_gw
    13 years ago

Hey, Everybody!

No, Mike! I hate the thought that snow is on its way! I despise the cold! As beautiful as it is, it hurts too much! I ache all winter! :-)

I just like it because a good layer blanketing the garden helps to protect the roses and other plants that are dormant underground. It's nice to look out the window, from inside where it's warm, and see a gentle snow falling, the way it sparkles in the early morning sun, the way it sticks to the bare tree branches and the other structures in the yard... but it's too damn cold! :-)

Honestly, I wouldn't care if it never snowed again! I just know it's better for the plants and gardens when they have that layer of protection. Winter and I do NOT get along! If I could give you my winter, Mike, I would... if you like it, that is... Christmas is nice, but as soon as autumn arrives, I'm already wishing spring was here! :-)

Fabulous photos, everyone!

JoJo, we have similar bugs and birds, except our grasshoppers don't get that big... what the heck are you feeding them?! ;-)

I love that teeny, tiny toad! How does it not get lost... or eaten?!

I, too, have tried and tried, without much success, to capture the hummingbirds that frequent the gardens during the nicer seasons. They just won't stay close enough to get a clear shot. And if one does get close, I manage to not have a camera with me!

And, awwwww.... look at those cute little guys, all lined up for a portrait! How sweet! Great pictures, JoJo!

Kevin, Max is a beautiful dog! And I love the fish pond! Very nice pictures! Thank you for sharing!

Josh, as always, a lovely shot of your yard... I really like how you use stone and other items within your landscaping. It so reminds me... of me! ;-)

I hope I haven't missed anyone... a big hello to all, and I hope everyone is doing well.

I just received a small care package from a friend, and am about to pot up some Galtonia bulbs and a beauty of a Eucomis bulb! I can't wait to see them bloom next year! Alas, they must remain container plants, not being hardy to this area, but I can better watch their progress this way.

The temperatures have dipped down to what I consider early winter temps... enough for a decent jacket when I go outside, that is. We've had rain mixed with sleet and ice twice already, but no snow as of yet. And tomorrow we go shopping, so I'll be picking out a decent Avacado to save the seed from!

Here's to a good evening... enjoy those turkey leftovers! :-)

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    13 years ago

Hello Everyone...

I love all of the post here...especially the critters, dogs especially!! But, most of all the flowers...

Here are a few blooms that I have now!! Plus I thought I would share a few of the dogs as well!!!

Take care everyone!!!

Laura in VB

{{gwi:6486}}
    {{gwi:6498}}
    {{gwi:43207}}

Stay warm everyone!!!

Laura in VB

Original Author
    13 years ago

I had an interesting day. A few years ago, I sold a half section of wooded property I kept for hunting. One of the things I soo miss about no longer owning it is the birds that were hand tame. I'm not really sure how many chickadees there were, but there were probably 50-100 or more scattered across the property. We couldn't go to any of the blinds and sit w/o the birds landing on us and begging for sunflower seeds.

At the road frontage, I kept a travel trailer that was 'home'. I/we would come out of the woods for lunch and gather around the trailer. I had a hat that had a little hollow spot on top where I could put a handful of sunflower seeds, and they wouldn't fall off unless I bent over sharply. The chickadees were so very bold. Not often would more than one land on my hat at a time, but they would perch on my shoulders and coat sleeves awaiting their turn to dart to the booty & then fly off onto a nearby branch where they would grasp the seed in their tiny claws and work on the hull to get at the energy treat inside.

Often, I would remove my gloves and pinch a seed tightly so the bird couldn't grasp it and fly away with it. I could watch the little buggers perch and attack the sunflower with their tiny beaks until they could steal the kernel and then fly off in search of the next snack.

The chickadees were so brazen they would fly at us from any direction w/o a hint of fear. It was often startling, even though it was completely common, for a bird to fly directly at our face at a furious pace, then, at the last possible second slam on the brakes in a flutter of wings right at the end of your hat brim.

The other birds that were tamed were the nuthatches. These birds had a trait that was quite interesting. Unlike the chickadees, the nuthatches would never fly to us directly and then land on us. We needed to be in the very close proximity of a tree before we could attract them. Their MO was to land on the tree above our head, then hop hop hop down the tree to our hat for a seed. They too would fly off to a branch, one seed at a time to chisel away the husk hiding the booty. If we were holding the seeds on our hand, or had them in a pocket, the nuthatches would continue hopping down an arm to the hand or pocket for their meal.

Anyway - the digression was so perhaps you can get a feeling for what a wonderfully uplifting experience this kind of communion with wild birds is. I've been really missing it for the last few years & had decided I was going to find a rural wooded place on the way home from work and tame a few birds. I was sitting in an easy chair in front of the LR picture window watching the birds at the feeder and decided I'd try it here. I'd reasoned that rather than risk interaction with me, the birds would simply fly to any one of a dozen nearby neighbor's feeders & take sustenance there. I thought that taming them in a wild, remote setting was possible mainly because they were unable to simply fly a few yards to a nearby feeder for an offering equal to mine ..... but I was wrong.

All I did was this: I took the bird feeder down & put it in the garage. I then held a (clean) tuna can partially filled with sunflower seeds right where the feeder was. I also put some seeds on my hat. Within 1 minute, I had a chickadee land on my hat. That one had to come back for the third time before another was bold enough to join him. After that, the chickadees landed freely on my hat, even as I moved around slowly under the tree. After they were comfortable, I shook the seeds off my hat & held a small handful on the palm of a gloved hand. Within a few seconds, they were eating out of my hand.

By that time it was getting late and the cardinals were around in force (usually the last birds at the feeder, but much too timid to come near), signaling the end of the day, and the chickadees were off looking for a warm spot to spend the night. I've got a few strategies in place that will allow me to get some rockin' pictures of the birds eating from my hand. I'll TRY to help my wife get familiar enough with the camera to get some cool pics of the birds on my hat, too. Maybe I'll just take some pictures of her feeding them & post them this weekend.

One of the things we used to do is, we would hold a sunflower seed between our lips and put our hand, palm down on the point of our chin - like a platform. The chickadees would land on the back of our hands and take the seed from our lips. The picture looked just like the birds were kissing us. How cool is THAT? ;o)

Anyway .... when I got done with my day's adventure, I felt really uplifted. Just thought I'd share. I KNOW I need to share pics, so I'll work on it over the weekend. Stay tuned. ;o)

Al

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Wow...I guess I completely missed this thread,lol...nice to be missed Mike!

Fantastic pictures everyone...I have truly enjoyed everyone pictures here...just AWESOME! Thanks everyone...what a wonderful thread!

Thanks for that wonderful story Al!

Okay, had to put a few pictures of Max here...
    {{gwi:43208}}

{{gwi:43209}}

{{gwi:43210}}

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Nancy: Hahahahahahahh...I LOVE LOVE that picture, the second one above my post! He looks like me in the am just before getting out of bed and nice and warm.If he gets better treatment than your husband, I wouldn't blame him for being just a bit jealous....lol..Cute..

Al: Very interesting and nice story..I can't wait to see the pics you came up with..Al, I love birds!

I use to breed birds..Canaries and finches in particular..Grren singing finches that use to fetch a pretty penny..At one point I had over 100 canaries in my now plant room..I have been tempted to buy a singing bird and let him have free reign of the plant room..He would have a lot of fun, but the droppings might cause a problem..:-)
    I miss my "green singing finch" I had for years..I burnt something on the stove over the summer and the smoke killed him..;-(

Laura: My goodness!!! Do you think that you and Pug might have alot in common? lol..You both like Hoya's, DR, Catuses, DOGS and dressing them up, and this forum...lol
    What a cute picture..You should see the picture of Josh's cat trying to sneak into his pop up he just made..I think they would all have fun hanging out...
    You know what my mother thinks about that tiger container!

Jodik: You got new bulbs?? Yippy..I can't wait to see the pics of those flowers once they pop..I ahte the winter too..I am starting to feel like I should just let the bank reposses my home and just move to my house in the Tropics with the clothes on my back and just my plants...
    The dreaded 30's for day time highs will be paying a visit all next week..At least no snow for awhile..I too am wishing for those nice long sunny warm days Jodik!

I hope your back is back to well again...How is your cutting doing?

Hi Josh!! Jodik is right when she says that your yard is nice..Every one of your plants that look out your windows love the view..That is the reason why they do so well besides the mix your using too..lol

Great DOG pics everyone..I love this thread..

If I missed anyone I am sorry..I had to go..

Have a beautiful day and stay warm like your dogs..They have the hang of it!

Mike

13 years ago

Mike, thank you! Yes, my plants must enjoy the view...although a few of them
    certainly wish that they could be outside where they vacation during the hot Summer!
    As we near the Winter Solstice, the darkest day of the year, it is a good time to remind
    everyone to keep turning their plants. As the sun dips, my plants strongly heliotrope and
    will take a set in a particular direction if I don't keep them "on the move."

Al, that was a great story of the bird-feeding. This Summer, while watering some ferns,
    a Hummingbird zoomed in and began drinking from the thin stream of water I was arcing over the ferns.
    It kept flitting closer and closer to my hand, the source of the water (from the mouth of the hose).
    It took three drinks, hummed a bit, and then was off. It made me think of Francis of Assisi...
    and, more obscurely, Radagast the Brown Wizard, friend of animals, from Tolkien's Middle Earth.
    (And that always gets me thinking of Radagast the squirrel of Norse mythology).

In other news, the fourth of five flowers has opened on my little Jade cutting. I'm stoked! ;)

Lastly, let me post a pic of my good friend's dog. This is Zoe, or Zoya (said with Russian accent!).
    She's a very nice, fat little dog! I think she'd make great friends with Max!

{{gwi:43211}}

And this is a sunset from my backyard, taken last week.

On December 21st, the Sun will be at its minimum.
    But in three day's time, on the Christ mass, its return will be noticeable to the human senses.
    I am haunted by the Myth, the History, and the Rites of the Sun....

{{gwi:43212}}

Josh

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Thanks Mike, as you can see...Max has a very rough life,lol...

Josh, how adorable, I'm so sure Max and Zoe would be best friends if they lived closer. She's a cutie! Love that sunset picture...Wow, gorgeous!

• jojosplants
    13 years ago

Hi Everyone!
    It's been a few days since i've been here. I love all the photos!
    Laura, I have a little sweetie, that looks like yours. But not the same breed. I'll try and post pics later. :)

Al~
    I just love the story of the birds! Having raised them for years, I have a very soft spot for them. :)

I can't wait to see the pictures!

I keep my birdfeeders where I can see them all the time.

I've never tried to tame any here, but do feed them, and talk to them when their around. Like i said, my finches talk back to me. And don't mind me working the yard. :)

Years ago, I tamed a road runner, and she even brought me her "new Family" to see. She would take food right from my hand.

We had a pidgeon a few years back here.. White as snow! Wild, and we tamed him. Named him Romeo. :) I may have pics somewhere. He would show up in the morning and stare in the sliding glass door, waiting for us to go out. :)

My humming bird came by yesterday and gave me an earful, literly! because his flower was killed by the frost.

Josh,
    Your photo is just beautiful!

Good to see everyone!
    I'll be back when I can. :)
    Stay warm and take care,
    JoJo

Original Author
    13 years ago

Say HI to my buddies. I've had the nuthatches eating from my hand, too .... just not when I had the camera. I'll try to get some shots of them perched on shoulders & head/hat, but I need a helper for that and she's somewhat reluctant to stand out in the cold/wind to take bird pics, ;o)

I'm not sure how many different chickadees I've managed to coax to my hand - maybe 8-12. I've had at least 2 nuthatches, one regular and a red-breasted. .... keeps me off the streets & out of the bars. ;o)

{{gwi:43213}}

{{gwi:43214}}

{{gwi:43215}}

{{gwi:43216}}

{{gwi:43217}}

Brrrr - it's been cold. Mid-20s with a stiff wind. See how wrinkled the pads of my fingers are from the cold? I guess I could have been a little more observant about the background in the pics, but at least you know I wasn't pulling your leg about 'taming the birds'. ;o)

Al

• jojosplants
    13 years ago

Al!
    They're beautiful! How fun that must be!!
    It really brightend my day. Thanks for braving the cold for us!
    If you were to try that here, you may roast. 78* ;)

Maybe I'll try with my finches. ;)

Tell your helper to bundle up good. :)(although I don't blame her! lol) I know were all dying to see more pics!
    There has to be someone you can talk into it. :)

Hope everyone is having a good day!

JJ

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

I couldn't wait to get home and see these pictures! I am in love with birds as much as I am with my plants and cat..

If you promise your helper a nice night out to a nice restaurant, she might just brave the cold for you..

Those are some really nice pictures..How in the world did you move your camera or hold it without shaking to get the bird to stay and take such nice shots?..Marvelous..! Now I am confused..I don't know if I like the pictures of your frogs better, or your plants, or the birds? lol

Thank you

Hi Jojo..We sent you mail?Many warm wishes to you..Have great day too, or should I say night..:-)

Mike

13 years ago

That's awesome, Al!

What a great communion with the birds!

Josh

• justadncr
    13 years ago

WOW I have spent a lot of my morning reading this post!! What a great way to spend a December morning with a cup of coffee. Although I am exhausted from all the work you all have done.
    I guess I have a lot more to learn! I think my plants are great but I always have brown leaves somewhere on the plants.
    Al lured me back to this site with his pictures of birds but everything here is fantastic! Great thread!

Original Author
    13 years ago

You've been away too long anyway, Beth. Hasn't it been a great thread, though? Always good to see you ..... and I hope you come by more often ..... or better yet, stick around. ;o)

Al

• jojosplants
    13 years ago

Hi Everyone!
    I have a new flower to share. Now some may say they're not real inviting, at least not the fragrance, but she sure is pretty!

Just bloomed this morning. I need to find out which one it is now. lol!
    I've been waiting since mid Nov. for it to bloom. :)

{{gwi:43218}}

{{gwi:43219}}

It's only about 3" across. A nice little one.
    :)

Nancy~ Hubby and I both love the new photos of Max. Boy does he look comfy in his little blanket, and clothes. LOL! and I thought mine were spoiled! lol!

Jodi~
    Our grasshoppers can get a little mean, just like the mantis, so they eat what they want! LOL!!

Hi To everyone else,
    I need to run!
    JoJo

Original Author
    13 years ago

Really a cool shot, JJ. A pretty bloom!

Thread's almost done for. ;-(

How about if we continue it here?

Original Author
    8 years ago

....... and I thought this thread was closed to posting. With the new Houzz ..... I guess not.

Al

Original Author
    8 years ago

You too, L! Thanks.

Al

Original Author
    8 years ago

A nice day in mid-May - garden just waking up. GD & I are just building the first mixed containers.

Al