Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
two much water SIP? Pepper Problem

Posted by sam_kx4sam 9B (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 5, 11 at 16:32

Almost looks like blossom end rot. These are Mammoth Jalape�os. This problem seems to occur on peppers just as they start to ripen. Growing in 5 gallon buckets, SIP, similar to global buckets dot org. Reservoir kept full. Osmocote general slow release fertilizer. Full sun.The wicking area is 3" PVC pipe, with hole drilled in the side. Miracle Grow Potting soil.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: two much water SIP? Pepper Problem

Could this be Sun scald ? Try some shade

o

Due to overflow holes it is not possible to overfill the reservoir. If the correct soil is used it will not ever be too wet. Al

o

its ber, i let my swc's almost dry out for my peppers. did you add any dolomite lime to your container mix? over and under watering cause how calcium moves throughout the plant. causing ber. there other things that contribute to it but in your case to wet. when the plant gets older it corrects its self. most of the time.

o

Just my opinion, but based on what I've read about PVC re leaching of chemicals, I would advise using polyethylene (PE) or some other type of pipe instead. I know at least that in California, PVC has to be labeled as a carcinogen, but I can't speak for other types of plastic.

o

With miracle grow mix and a full reservoir all the time, it's probably too wet.

Let the reservoir dry out for a couple days before re-filling it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here