Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First time container gardening

Posted by Night_Stalker 7 NYC (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 19, 12 at 16:41

Having a tiny postage stamp back yard, I've wanted to try container gardening. I have a few pots, but I'm on a budget.

Someone left a big plastic bucket out for garbage collecting. The bucket reads "Paint Latex Primer Undercoater - white" with about an inch of liquid left.

I spilled it out, but there's still the thick remnants on the bucket. Can I just let it dry, cut some drainage holes, fill it with dirt, and use it as a pot? Or do I have to wash it out first? Will the dried paint harm the plant I put in?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First time container gardening

Not sure if its harmful or not . But you could try to get some 5 gallon buckets free or cheap . Many times car washes,restaurants ,have buckets they toss out ,land scappers may have containers they are trying to get rid of ,doesnt hurt to ask. Try joing a "freecycle" group in your area,where everything is free.Try a google freecycle search. Check on "craigslist" for cheap buckets. Home Depot sells 5 gal buckets for <$3 good buckets and last a long time,better than food grade plastic which does not hold up to outside sun,freeze .

o

dickiefickle,

"Home Depot sells 5 gal buckets for <$3 good buckets and last a long time,better than food grade plastic which does not hold up to outside sun,freeze ."

Are you saying the white food grade does not hold up as long as those home depot buckets?

Here I thought I was doing a good thing in getting food grade white buckets. I hope they at least last a few years. Thaks for that info, now I will know in the future.

o

Thats exactly what I am saying. Food grade is not made to sit in the outside elements.
About second or third year the food grade plastic is super brittle .

o

I didnt know that about food grade buckets either. Thanks.

o

That was a test to see if I could upload pix. Guess it worked!

o

Night Stalker

nothing wrong with recycling containers idea. I would stay away from anything that had paint or similar in it. There is always someone disposing of plastic nursery containers, or you can stop at garden centres & ask for free ones - most have drop-off box for people to bring & recycle empties.

I would definitely p/u wooden crates/drawers that are sometimes put out for garbage p/u, as long as they are not falling apart. Just provide drainage holes (drill thru bottom). They will not last forever, but you may get couple of years out of them. You could paint outside if necessary.
Also old ceramic/china bowls, jugs and similar, you just have to provide drainage holes. Doesn't really matter even if they are chipped, it will probably be covered by the plant anyway....just some ideas...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here