Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
synergyceleste

Vegetable Gardening Mentor in Las Vegas

SynergyCeleste
9 years ago

Hello all, I'm a newbie...
I am having problems getting Vegetables to grow in Buckets and I was wondering if someone local could tell me what I'm doing wrong? Come and look at it, maybe?
I have tried different planting mixes, powders, and potions but everything dies off within 2 weeks after being transplanted into buckets and put out in the yard, watering every 2 days, due to the top of the soil being dry. The roots never make it very far down into the bucket, and stop growing. I thought it was my starts from seed, but it happened with a tomato plant I got at Home Depot...that lasted a bit longer. When I took it out after it died, I noticed that the roots weren't growing.
This is my 2nd year here (the 1st year was worse) and I have just started my 4th batch of seedlings in worm compost (for the first time). I am not using fertilizer due to the heat. I have had to put burlap on chicken wire (inside the bucket) to protect from the sun as, if I expose anything to full sun it takes a dive within a couple of days... I read that tomatoes and peppers like full sun? Not in my Yard!!!

Comments (11)

• ricman
    9 years ago

What are your daytime temperatures? Are you hardening off your plants before transplanting them? What type of soil mix are you using in your buckets?

Rick

• zzackey
    9 years ago

I don't think not fertilizing would help anything. Why not contact your local agricultural center to find out how and when is the right time to grow them.

• SynergyCeleste
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ricman... daytime temps are over 100, however this problem has existed regardless of temperature... I keep the seedlings on a open porch in a plastic tub... Thanks

Zackey... With 2 growing seasons in Las Vegas I should be able to get something to grow! But I get nothing. I did contact the University Master Gardner's program, but they gave me some bad, useless advice...telling me to water every 2 weeks! As it is, if I wait 3 days the plants dry and shrivel! I have started using compost now but they didn't seem to think it was important. I am reading now that nothing grows here without compost. Thanks

• ricman
    9 years ago

Ok...Its supposed to be 95 this weekend here in Oklahoma. I am putting up 40% shade cloth to help out. May I suggest you check out Larry Halls Rain Gutter Grow System on YouTube. He has many videos on this system. It has been very successful for me.

• zzackey
    9 years ago

So sorry you got bum advice a the ag center. I am a master gardener too, but I research my answers through the University of Florida before I make a recommendation. We aren't supposed to give our own opinion. I can't think of any where that you would only water ever two weeks! We have two growing seasons also. Or maybe three. Only me and my neighbor seem to be the only ones still growing tomatoes. I have more tomatoes than I know what to do with. Most people have yanked theirs out when it gets this hot. Compost and mulch will be a big help to retaining water along with deep watering. I always learn by experimenting. Been growing plants in pots and some gardening for 40 years and I'm still learning. Our best crops were grown in a garden called a hugel. Google it for the heck of it.

• SynergyCeleste
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ricman... looks like a nice system, but I am disabled and poor, have no one to build it.... We have not had rain here since 2/28!

Zackey... Tomatoes? You are lucky... I am in a rented house with a sandy yard, no trees, some fence shade, that's why I built the burlap cages for the buckets. One day a couple of weeks ago I looked at an empty bucket and noticed the plastic was melting! June here has always been the worst, it starts to cool off in August.

• zzackey
    9 years ago

I googled University of Arizona vegetable gardening. It recommends planting tomatoes from Jan-April depending on your elevation.

• SynergyCeleste
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Zackey... At this point I don't care about the planting times as nothing is growing since April. Since the weather here will be in the 60's-70's through November, this is my last chance until March 2015.

• SynergyCeleste
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is the new batch of seedlings 7-12 days old... I have never had any experience with worm compost and used it like potting soil and now I see that it is very hard when it dries out, but somehow the plants have come up and faster than potting soil only...
    BTW: In January and February, it is much to windy and cold to start anything outside and I have been told that these triple pane windows don't allow the right kind of light through, but it is worth a try anyway.

• SynergyCeleste
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Seedlings Dying... :(

• the_yard_guy
    9 years ago

I'm not a vegetable expert so my ideas might not be helpful, but from looking at the last photo (closeup of tomato seedlings) I'm wondering if part of your problem is "damping off" disease. Basically I've read that its safer to start seeds in a soiless mix to help avoid damping off problems. Also lots of water and poor air circulation contributes to damping off.

If I was having this problem with seed starting I would buy a small bag of seed starting soil (not compost or potting soil ) and try again. I would also either space the seed containers farther apart or use a small fan on low setting to provide occasional air circulation to help reduce chances of damping off disease.

Hope that helps

TYG