Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'Stumppot' eliminates wilting

Posted by emgardener 9 BayArea CA (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 13, 12 at 16:50

This year I planted an eggplant in a 18 gallon tub with a big stump in it. Unexpectedly the plant never wilted.

The eggplants in this tub are the best that I have ever grown in containers (so far at least).

So I created a blogsite to communicate this.

Happy Gardening

Here is a link that might be useful: Overcoming wilt

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'Stumppot' eliminates wilting

That is encouraging! Some years ago, I had a number of spindly trees cut down in my back yard. I planted a flower bed right on top of one of them and its been great. I've been adding perennials to fill in the space as money and time allows. As you mentioned, even in 100 plus degree temperature, the flowers (wave putunias, lantana, strawberry) didn't stress from full sun. Thanks for sharing. Hope to see pics of your harvest.

o

We just cut down 6 overgrown arborvitaes in the yard. I've been racking my brain to figure how to remove the stumps in a cost effective way. Now I how something else to research and learn about as an alternative. Thanks for sharing.

o

• Posted by nil13 z21 Mount Washington (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 15, 12 at 11:02

I think you have rediscovered hugelkulture.

o

nil3,

Actually it was reading about hugelkultur that inspired me to try this.

The unexpected and interesting observation for me was that plants over horizontally placed logs did wilt as normal plants do in heat and sun.

However plants over vertically placed logs did not wilt.

Which does make sense as wood wicks with the grain, but not against it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here